Cham Newb

jeremyxiii

Okay, so I'll start off by saying I'm definitely new to the world of chameleons and reptiles as a whole. However, I've kept several mixed reef saltwater tanks over the past few years so I know what it's like having to keep up with your husbandry.. I'm not coming in as your average cats and dogs type guy! Lol.
Anyways, I live and die by the motto of measure twice and cut once so I've been doing some research already on enclosures, misting units, UV lighting and lighting setups and I've run into several questions.
First things first, I've come to the conclusion that I want a Panther Cham. Don't know if that matters as far as the rest of my questions but I'll put it out there.
Question 1) Has anyone used or heard of others using Dragon Strand enclosures? I found their website and I've taken a definite liking to their cages.

Question 2) Are all screen cages better than say half & half cages? There's some that are are screen on all sides and others that are PVC on all but one side and the top and so on. Which is actually better in the long run for the animal and the area around the cage?

Question 3) This is a more specific question.. I plan on buying a young cham so I know his needs may change and if he ends up needing a larger enclosure, I would definitely buy a different one. But for now.. Would a cage that measures (WxHxD) 28.5"x29.5"x18" be better than a cage measuring (WxHxD) 21.5"x44.5"x16"?

Question 4) What are some reliable sources to purchase good quality chameleons from?

Question 5) And finally, I've read about several people's setups using T5 lighting. In the coral world, T5 is so yesterday so I didn't know if anyone in the reptilian world was using anything different such as metal halides or LED's? Maybe even simply T5HO's? Just a thought.

I understand it's a lot and some of the questions may be dumb but I'd rather ask now then go off and do something foolish! Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Anyways, I live and die by the motto of measure twice and cut once so I've been doing some research already on enclosures, misting units, UV lighting and lighting setups and I've run into several questions.

Chams are good choices for people who like getting into the details and who enjoy more intriguing husbandry.

First things first, I've come to the conclusion that I want a Panther Cham. Don't know if that matters as far as the rest of my questions but I'll put it out there.

If you do your research on needs, have your setup planned and know you can provide the parameters it will need, either a veiled or panther is a good choice.

Question 1) Has anyone used or heard of others using Dragon Strand enclosures? I found their website and I've taken a definite liking to their cages.

More and more of us are using Dragon Strand cages. Bill Strand has been a member of the cham community for a very long time! He knows what works for chams.

Question 2) Are all screen cages better than say half & half cages? There's some that are are screen on all sides and others that are PVC on all but one side and the top and so on. Which is actually better in the long run for the animal and the area around the cage?

People differ in what they prefer using. I would think about your local climate and house situation (temps, humidity levels, etc) and how much you will have to do to provide the correct conditions in the cage. For example, if you lived in a dry climate (hot in summer, cold in winter) a part plexi-part screen setup might be easier to keep humid than a full screen one. A warm humid climate might be fine for a all screen cage. I happen to prefer all screen cages as I can make them larger and can always add plastic sheeting or plexi panels to the screen if necessary. Open it up or close it in as needed depending on the season.

Question 3) This is a more specific question.. I plan on buying a young cham so I know his needs may change and if he ends up needing a larger enclosure, I would definitely buy a different one. But for now.. Would a cage that measures (WxHxD) 28.5"x29.5"x18" be better than a cage measuring (WxHxD) 21.5"x44.5"x16"?

Personally I don't know if it matters. You can always portion off a smaller area for a young cham.

Question 4) What are some reliable sources to purchase good quality chameleons from?

This forum isn't really set up to evaluate sellers. Sponsors are good options. If you want to read reviews of seller's animals we usually suggest check the Fauna Classifieds BOI.

Question 5) And finally, I've read about several people's setups using T5 lighting. In the coral world, T5 is so yesterday so I didn't know if anyone in the reptilian world was using anything different such as metal halides or LED's? Maybe even simply T5HO's? Just a thought.

There is lighting information in the cham husbandry info located under the forum "Resources" tab. I have always used ReptiSun 5.0 or 10.0, so am not as familiar with the bulbs you listed.

I understand it's a lot and some of the questions may be dumb but I'd rather ask now then go off and do something foolish! Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

You're welcome. This is the kind of post we LOVE responding to!

1: Yes, they're like the Penthouse Suite of cages. Could go custom and blow the lid off the project. ;)

2: Depends on your humidity needs and your particular room of lack there of. Live in a dry state, humid state, ect.

3: Refer to link below

4: https://www.chameleonforums.com/index.php?page=sponsors&type=sales

5: T5 HO all the way (according to some here): http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Disclaimer. I'm still a newb at this stuff and someone else will be in momentarily to help you. Thanks for waiting, the staff. :D

Edit: Carlton beat me to it. Now that's service! :p

Edit: Carlton me beat me to it. Now that's service! :p

No, actually it was sheer luck I happened to be online!:)

Thanks for all the detailed answers, Carlton. The green don't really helped! I'll definitely check out those subforums you mentioned. I live in Louisiana so it's pretty humid here. I never thought of your idea of adding the PVC over the screen so I think I'll go with the all-screen option. And thank you SocialNumb for those links, I'll be reading them shortly! If I have any other questions, I'll add them to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom