Cham isn't social..

Jackson14

I have had my second Cham now for about 5 months and he is the most unsocial pet I have ever had. My first Cham would love to come to the door when I would feed him and even climb out on my hand. My Jackson now runs when I try to feed and will not even let me touch him when I have to do full cleanings. I am not getting a lot of the enjoyment like I had from my first Cham. Any ideas on " bonding"?
:confused:

Some cham's just aren't social. You can always try hand feeding him to see if he will move closer to you over time.

I have tried to hand feed but when he sees my hand he runs and hides so I just hold a container out and he eats from it but I have not done anything to make his behavior like this so I'm stumped

Try holding silkworms in front of him and then putting them down on something. Like a trail closer to you.

Like people some chameleons uses time to gain trust in you.
My ambanja male did hide whenever my hand came close the terra.

But at 11 months old he started to come out on my hand occationally and in reward he got to sit in the favorit trees nearby the window in the sun, and even get food on my shoulder and stuff. Then he learned to drink from a pipette and now he wants out very often when he sees me :)

But with that said,...reptiles are not social pets like other pets.
You could think of them like fishes in an aquarium. They don't like to be moved around, do they? :D

But with that said,...reptiles are not social pets like other pets.
You could think of them like fishes in an aquarium. They don't like to be moved around, do they? :D

This is true. The less interaction the better, you know unless you have a social cham, hahaha.

Yeah, I think whenever you bring in a new chameleon you should be prepared for it to be anti-social and a "look only" pet.

It might be a mindset thing...my Fischer's absolutely hates me. When I open the cage to put food in he acts like I'm there to perform some sort of alien probe related examination....I choose to be amused, not offended.

My chams are the same way. Though finally my female is learning that my hand is not looking to eat her and she readily hand feeds from me. My male thinks my hand IS the food.

Back
Top Bottom