Cham Health Insurance?

Marc10edora

Avid Member
Anybody here pay for health insurance for their cham? I was wondering if it is really worth it because I was thinking about getting it. What was the biggest vet bill you have taken your cham for? Also, for experienced keepers, how often have you taken your chams to the vet? This is my second cham in the span of 3 years and I haven't had any health issues that caused me to take him to a vet. I'd like to think that I keep my husbandry practices squeaky clean. Do you think the price of pet insurance is still worth it?

My vet recommends a 6 month check up for chameleons. I also take them in for a new check up when I first get them and if no problems then every 6 months. I took my two Sat. and they both had their 6 month and a fecal and it cost me $91.00.

I don't think it is worth it for one chameleon.
You find yourself at the vet a lot more when you hit the 20 mark.
More animals = something will always be going on with someone.
Better to make an arrangement with your vet in this case and take in multiples every visit.

-Brad

My vet recommends a 6 month check up for chameleons. I also take them in for a new check up when I first get them and if no problems then every 6 months. I took my two Sat. and they both had their 6 month and a fecal and it cost me $91.00.

$91 ducks? Holy moly! What the heck did he do?

I'm not sure how it would work with chams but I did try insurance for my little pug. It turned out to be worthless as far as I was concerned. When she began to develop allergies, they would not cover any costs because they said that pugs were prone to things like that.

Now if she'd been hit by a car and required surgery that would have been different.

Make sure that you understand what they will and will not cover.

Much better suggestion to just work out a deal between yourself and your vet.

I would invest in something like this, even if it did get a little expensive... but nothing over 50$ a month.. that's just ridiculous.

Chameleons are prone to everything! Bleh

Locally, I get charged $35 for just an "in house" fecal. It adds up so fast in this area, because nobody will look at herps or avian species unless you have cash in hand.

i really should have thought about insurance after this weekend it would have worked out well for me

Tom Greek: Great Vet.

I find Tom Greek to be of great affordability. I took three of my Melleri in for a check up and it was less than $75 with meds. The next trip to see Greek 1.5 months later to have part of Chris's tail removed was less than $50 for partial amputation of his tail and the anesthesia. Very reasonable and VERY to the point, no lollygagging.

If you are local, check him out: Tom Greek.

Depends on the species. If you have a few parsoniis it's maybe worth the money - but from my experiences insurances pay as less money as possible

You insure each individual animal. I pay $32 monthly for my Great Dane-they are prone to bloat and torsion and if you run into that surgery the cost is better than $5000 I would rather be safe than sorry. But to pay that for a cham, or for many, would be a waste of money. Luckily I too have a very affordable Vet.

I was thinking that it may be better to just put some money aside each money in a 'Cham Vet Fund' rather than pay an insurance premium. That way, if you don't need to see a vet you still have the money in hand. I looked into exotics insurance for my sugar gliders, but it wasn't really worth it in the end, especially as my vets charge very reasonable rates anyway. Lily's whole course of treatment cost me around £100 (approx $150). I thought this was ok as we had 3 visits, 4 lots of meds and a post mortem.

i forget the name, and price. but i remember it seeming reasonable per month.

the biggest thing they cover was egg binding. thats worth it to me considering the expense (even at a great priced vets) of having an egg bound female taken care of.

there was other things covered, fungus, rot, eyes , pulled toes. I didnt expect the first rep i talked to, to be able to cover the details with me about chams but they did.

I have to wonder, what safe guards are in place to keep you from taking out insurance on one Cham but using it on any of the 30 (hypothetical number) or so you may have back at your house.

I was thinking that it may be better to just put some money aside each money in a 'Cham Vet Fund' rather than pay an insurance premium. That way, if you don't need to see a vet you still have the money in hand. I looked into exotics insurance for my sugar gliders, but it wasn't really worth it in the end, especially as my vets charge very reasonable rates anyway. Lily's whole course of treatment cost me around £100 (approx $150). I thought this was ok as we had 3 visits, 4 lots of meds and a post mortem.

I could do with your vet! Ours seems to be rediculously extortionate. We took Hugo in last week as he had a tiny amount of blood in his poop, and it cost us £115 for the visit and fecal, and it turned out to be nothing, so didn't need any meds etc. When we had Draig autopsied, they charged us £60.

Back
Top Bottom