Cham has no grip..

erik775

Established Member
So I bought my cham some sticks from home depot . but they are too smooth and he can't get a firm grip on them..and also he has no nails cause he keeps trying to climb the screen cage and files them down...what could I do to the sticks so he can get a good grip??? uploadfromtaptalk1398387434783.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398387475659.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398387508141.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398387545200.jpg

The sticks leaning against the side of the cage are at a very steep angle, perhaps a smaller incline will allow him to grip those more readily. Also, a smaller diameter dowel rod may help. I use 3/8" dowel rods for my adult male panthers and have no grip issues.

wrap/coil (doesnt have to be tight) some fake vines, some real plant vine, or coated electrical wire around the sticks. Use real tree branches or sturdy plants instead of the smooth dowels. take a pocket knife to the dowels and score them so there is more opportunity for grip. Put alternatives against the screen so it doesnt try to climb the screen.

check you chameleons foot strength - it should be very strong and able to hold on - weak grip could point to a health issue.

The sticks leaning against the side of the cage are at a very steep angle, perhaps a smaller incline will allow him to grip those more readily. Also, a smaller diameter dowel rod may help. I use 3/8" dowel rods for my adult male panthers and have no grip issues.

some more horizontal sticks would be good, i agree, though he should be able to deal with steep angles/near verticals too.

He does have a nice strong grip but just no nails...I think I will take a dremel to the dowels and cut a bunch of grooves in them...

Back
Top Bottom