Cham falling asleep on my head

So, i have gotten some plants and i’m going to repot in a minute, i got a weeping fig, they didn’t have devils ivy so i got a spider plant, calathea, and another one i have forgotten the name of but will include pics… are these ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 85
you’re probably right!! i just really don’t want to touch them 🤣 i will keep having a look and am open to any option that doesn’t include them jumping on me 🤣
Get some nice gardening gloves and tongs. That way you can use the tongs to move them around (not feed from, Cham tongues get stuck to tongs so tong feeding is risky) and if they get loose, you are wearing gloves. I don't like touching most of these bugs by hand but the reality is it does happen sometimes! Gloves help. :)

Have you ever kept silkworms? That's one bug I don't mind touching. They're pretty cute and a great staple feeder. Crickets are soooo gross I had to stop keeping them.

Get some nice gardening gloves and tongs. That way you can use the tongs to move them around (not feed from, Cham tongues get stuck to tongs so tong feeding is risky) and if they get loose, you are wearing gloves. I don't like touching most of these bugs by hand but the reality is it does happen sometimes! Gloves help. :)

Have you ever kept silkworms? That's one bug I don't mind touching. They're pretty cute and a great staple feeder. Crickets are soooo gross I had to stop keeping them.
thankyou!! i know i hate them after they started escaping all around my room 😩 i have tried to feed him worms but for some reason he won’t eat them? not even wax worms!

So, i have gotten some plants and i’m going to repot in a minute, i got a weeping fig, they didn’t have devils ivy so i got a spider plant, calathea, and another one i have forgotten the name of but will include pics… are these ok?
You got a great selection! I've used all these before without issue. The jade plant won't really do much for the chameleon but they're pretty. Calathea and spider plants are great for mounting on the sides of the enclosure because they hang down and create good cover.

Did you read through this? Lots of helpful info on how to approach plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

You'll get over that after one or a few escape, and you're faced with the split-second decision of reaching out and grabbing one, or allowing it to disappear into your house. :)
when i first got him, so many escaped !!!! in one day i found 8 !!! i didn’t sleep all night i was so paranoid 🤣

So the difference in the arcadia bulbs... You have uvb and uv-a lighting from them. The 7% bulb is the shade dweller bulb so it has almost half the amount of uv-a lighting as the 6% or 12% bulbs they sit at around 30% vs the shadedweller 7% strength UVB bulb sitting at 17% (I believe). UV-A is responsible for stimulating different aspects in an animal. Feeding and mating responses are linked to this.

I know the shade dweller was designed for more of the gecko species. Something about them needing lower levels of UV-A but I honestly do not know the in's and out's to this.

Better off going with the 6% strength bulb vs the 7% just due to the UV-A difference. Arcadia recommends the 6% for Veileds.

Might add distance with the 7% is going to be similar to the 6% in a single bulb T5 fixture. looking at roughly 9 inches to basking. With the 6% your looking at 8-9 inches to basking for the proper UVB levels.

Hope that makes sense :)

So the difference in the arcadia bulbs... You have uvb and uv-a lighting from them. The 7% bulb is the shade dweller bulb so it has almost half the amount of uv-a lighting as the 6% or 12% bulbs they sit at around 30% vs the shadedweller 7% strength UVB bulb sitting at 17% (I believe). UV-A is responsible for stimulating different aspects in an animal. Feeding and mating responses are linked to this.

I know the shade dweller was designed for more of the gecko species. Something about them needing lower levels of UV-A but I honestly do not know the in's and out's to this.

Better off going with the 6% strength bulb vs the 7% just due to the UV-A difference. Arcadia recommends the 6% for Veileds.

Might add distance with the 7% is going to be similar to the 6% in a single bulb T5 fixture. looking at roughly 9 inches to basking. With the 6% your looking at 8-9 inches to basking for the proper UVB levels.

Hope that makes sense :)
thankyou !!!

sorry for the spam lol, i’m rearranging his cage… i’ve ditched the fake plants for real ones, but do i have to ditch the fake things to climb on? like i have this twisty thing and a fake branch

Make sure the plants are non toxic and well washed...both sides of the leaves.

Also..regarding the glass cage...being that you live in North Wales, the glass cage should be fine for now as long as it has a screen kid and some vents in the front side beneath the door.

Make sure the plants are non toxic and well washed...both sides of the leaves.

Also..regarding the glass cage...being that you live in North Wales, the glass cage should be fine for now as long as it has a screen kid and some vents in the front side beneath the door.
i have! thankyou!!

Adding to this, the ones to avoid are Exo Terra…they have little particles that break off and can get stuck in your cham’s eye. The thicker Fluker’s vines are nice, as are ones like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FM2LGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thankyou! i put the old vines on the outside of the tank! i will add an updated pic! i’ve never seen him drink this much! which is weird cause his urine was always ivory! he’s been exploring for a while and keeps licking all the leaves 🤣💗 please let me know if i have done anything wrong! and if he looks really ill do i know whether to go to the vets tomorrow! thankyou!

Attachments

• B6127084-4A33-4940-9B6E-727309058F23.jpeg
    B6127084-4A33-4940-9B6E-727309058F23.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 9F32BF72-A3DB-459C-A851-572DFFEFD2C8.jpeg
    9F32BF72-A3DB-459C-A851-572DFFEFD2C8.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 41579A10-90AC-4218-9945-194067AB5A6B.jpeg
    41579A10-90AC-4218-9945-194067AB5A6B.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 83
  • E67772F0-F4FD-4B7B-AACF-77700F3E0679.jpeg
    E67772F0-F4FD-4B7B-AACF-77700F3E0679.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 82
  • 04A76DC4-E247-49A9-AF49-32231BE6B63A.jpeg
    04A76DC4-E247-49A9-AF49-32231BE6B63A.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 85
  • AA9FE51C-B4BC-4F84-9F92-36552A638A0D.jpeg
    AA9FE51C-B4BC-4F84-9F92-36552A638A0D.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 94
  • BF7F361E-333D-4BCE-8F71-07B1D5AD40D5.jpeg
    BF7F361E-333D-4BCE-8F71-07B1D5AD40D5.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 77
I’m not saying cancel his vet appointment. It might be a good thing just to get a check up and take a fecal sample with you to be checked for parasites. If the vet says he’s healthy than great but if anything is wrong then you can get treatment for him and you will have caught it early.

Back
Top Bottom