cham eating habbits and viv ok or not???

bryantt

Hi everyone

I have male veiled chameleon and he is 18 months old.

I am trying to work out what size he's going to get and perhaps if I need buy him a bigger viv to accommodate. I want to ensure he's as happy and healthy as poss.

Stats
He's currently 18" (tail being slightly longer than body)

30x30x60 Glass viv with 50% vines and foliage including a live plant

Diet (fussy) One locust a day and a few wax worms here and there (gut loaded with sweet potato, green pepper, carrot, kale)

Supplemented every feed with calcium, twice a month with calcium with d3 and twice a month using multi vitamin powder.

Two basking spots temps of 85 degrees, humidity always kept between 50-65%, night time temps dropping to 70 degrees

He also every other days has a few hours out of his viv where he rooms on a tree (inside)

I know all chams reach different sizes due to different factors but I am forever reading contradictory information on here. Is my current viv suitable for an adult male veiled or will it restrict his growth? Is he eating enough or is his diet too restricted? I hear others eating far more... but he hates cricket and super worms and its hard to come by anything else.

It would be ideal if an experienced member could give me some detailed advice, or anyone for that matter!

Many thanks

Most people on here prefer screen enclosures but other than that your husbandry sounds good. At 18 months he likely doesn't have much growing left to do and likely won't eat as much. My males get fed one or two large roaches or the equivalent in other feeders every other day after they reach about 14 months.

that sounds like a giant glass viv, 24" x 24" x 48 is the minimum size an adult male needs soyou should be good there unless you want him in a bigger cage. Everyone here says the bigger the better. Like @oneillchameleons said at 18months he should be fully grown if not almost there and wont get much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom