CH Melleri Weights

Sorry... the edit button is gone.... he was 21.2....

IMG_9022.jpg

Hey Kristina,
Why do you think there is such a WIDE variation in weights of these CH babies? There are babies in the teen range in weight and all the way up to the 60's. Is there something we can do to bring up the weight of the littler ones?

I can't help but wonder if raising them singly vs. groups is a factor. I am keeping my 08 Mike CHs in one big enclosure together... the other person reporting similar growth with the same from Mike is Chuck.

Chuck, are yours in pairs or a group, or housed singly?

It appears that all the ones weighing in the teens to twenties are singletons.

Natural sunlight exposure, while a great thing, can be ruled out as the only growth factor in this case because my CHs have been on 100% ZooMed, no natural basking. I think Chuck mentioned on a thread that his were housed outdoors for the summer...? Two different light sources but similar growth for two keepers on opposite coasts.

Don't forget that every clutch has a variety of growth rates, even among those never removed from their original hatching home and raising cage. (See the CB growth chart on the MD.)

I can't help but wonder if raising them singly vs. groups is a factor. I am keeping my 08 Mike CHs in one big enclosure together... the other person reporting similar growth with the same from Mike is Chuck.

Chuck, are yours in pairs or a group, or housed singly?

It appears that all the ones weighing in the teens to twenties are singletons.

Natural sunlight exposure, while a great thing, can be ruled out as the only growth factor in this case because my CHs have been on 100% ZooMed, no natural basking. I think Chuck mentioned on a thread that his were housed outdoors for the summer...? Two different light sources but similar growth for two keepers on opposite coasts.

Don't forget that every clutch has a variety of growth rates, even among those never removed from their original hatching home and raising cage. (See the CB growth chart on the MD.)

I figured competition had something to do with it. I'll grab Chuck to take a look at this!

I figured competition had something to do with it. I'll grab Chuck to take a look at this!

Or lack of stimuli has something to do with it. If competition was the issue, groups should be the lowest weights, with only one HUGE baby. In a group, you can watch one start to feed, and the others see the action and/or feel the first one's vibrations at the prey, and then rush over for their shots. A "single occupant" isn't stimulated that way.

It still may be more than feeding frequency, since even small guys can pack it away and still not grow (see Dingle's weight arc on that chart). Some siblings have better metabolisms and grow better.

The large guy in the group is now 78 grams and has been housed alone for about 6 weeks and is doing great. I have 4 housed together in a large area and another one has emerged as a larger one at 70 grams and the others are in the 50's range. So far it seems like other species in that you will have one or two that grow at a faster pace. I usually pull these guys away from the herd and allow others to catch up. I have been careful not to overfeed these guys. Prolapses are no fun!

Wow, this is interesting. So was Mike housing them together or singly? I just got my little one in mid October and he HAS gained a lot of weight, probably doubled or more since then.

Most of yours could crush mine though! He is 25 grams at the moment.

Took pix quickly, while getting ready for party tonight... Here are pix of one of my "smaller" CHs, formerly known as Big/Major Red by its color ID. I guess that adjective doesn't apply anymore. I tried to get pix of the others, but everyone is shedding and in that mood.

DSC09154.jpg

Tried to take my arm off right after I snapped that pic.

DSC09157.jpg

Not fat, just getting bigger.

Pat's looking great, Kevin. As is the new guy.

How old is Pat now?

uuuuuuuh LOL ya know I don't remember the hatch date... help me out guys? hes a hatch mate of the new guy chris..... but chris seems to be a bit of a late bloomer.

Kristina is hip on hatch dates... Pat is also a hatch mate of her youngins

Well, I suppose it's my turn to chime in.

Melle Mel weighed 26.2 grams the day we picked him up two weeks ago.

This morning he's weighing in at a 37 grams! Is that much growth in such a little time normal?

I rarely see im eat, with exception to when he takes one or two crickets from my fingers, but that's not everyday either. His feces is plump and big, a often multiple times per day. I never leave more than 4 crixkets in his cage roaming around, and they're usually still there when I get home from work.

Well, I'm certainly not complaining since he's growing well, his mood is great and doesn't really get bothered by anything since the river rock incident earlier last week. I guess my next reaction was to as...is that too much growth in two weeks? What's the average monthly growth rate for 7-8 month old melleri?

Tanks everyone,

Luis

Back
Top Bottom