Cereal as a gutload - Whole Grain TOTAL

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone used or have comments about using General Mills Whole Grain TOTAL Cereal as a gutload?

I notice that it appears to be high in calcium content (1000mg per 30g) and low phosphorous content (80mg/30g). Primarily for this reason, I was thinking of using it as part of my bedding/substrate for my Zophobas morio (kingworm/superworm), in combination with oats and bran. There is only a little Retinol (149mcg/30g).

thank you

Isn't the Retinol a bit bad for them? Or was it good?

Seems to be Considerable debate about Vitamin A.

There is the danger of overdose with Vitamin A, but not with beta carotene. But some feel chameleons may not convert beta carotene to vitamin a, thus they need some retinol in their diet or via supplementation. I personally do not give Retinol directly to my chameleons. I tend to use gutloads high in beta carotene, limit/avoid Vitamin A as retinol, and this seems to have worked out for me. That said, apparently the silkworm chow has vitamin a in it, and I've used that, and in the past I occassionally gave fish food and dog food kibbles to my roaches, which likely had retinol in it and likely some small portion may have occassionally made its way to my chameleons. From what I have read and in my experience, very small amounts or Retinol wont hurt them, especially indirectly.

I used a mixture of oatmeal, wheat bran and crunched up Total for my beetles. I had a good output of babies so I plan on doing it again.

I don't see a problem with using it.
I have used other cereals in the past (and continue to do so) with good success.

Cheerios
oatmeal
Shredded Wheat
Honey Bunches of oats (with a couple drops of honey for waxworms)

-Brad

I know the post is old, but has anyone since heard anything about using Total or used Total?

Based on the beginning of Sandra's post I'd say Total is fine. I have been crunching up Kashi cereal and mixing it with spirulina extract powder, bee pollen, and some other goodies. All my chameleons seem to really love the insects and I have had zero health problems.

Based on the beginning of Sandra's post I'd say Total is fine. I have been crunching up Kashi cereal and mixing it with spirulina extract powder, bee pollen, and some other goodies. All my chameleons seem to really love the insects and I have had zero health problems.

I have been doing the same with the Kashi and spirulina powder too for the past 1 1/2 years with no bad results.

Harry

Ive used small amounts of kashi (which does not contain retinol, or at least the one I bought didnt). I've also used shredded wheats a few times. I havent be able to find Total, so I assume they dont make it anymore or we dont get it in Canada. Either way, Im pretty sure cereals in small amounts are a good addition to your gutload.

I don't see a problem with using it.
I have used other cereals in the past (and continue to do so) with good success.

Cheerios
oatmeal
Shredded Wheat
Honey Bunches of oats (with a couple drops of honey for waxworms)

-Brad

Shame on you for feeding delicacies such as honey bunches of oats to your feeders!! :p

Just curious, but with Total would there be any concerns with the high Iron content?

None of the content is high when you consider the small amount passed on to a chameleon after the worms have consumed it. Its not like filling them with a concentrated vitamin powder. Most of the content the lizard is eating is still worm.

About the time I started this thread, Total by General Mills seemed to go off the market, so I didnt get opportunity to try it. But like others, I have tried including small amounts of other cereals, like Kashi and various "organic" granolas, in my dry gutload recipies. Doesnt seem to have done any harm. But overall I think cereals should not form a large part of the gutloading routine.

Back
Top Bottom