Ceramic heat bulbs

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
should we turn off a ceramic heat bulb at night, I heard its better for a temp drop at night for a veiled chameleon, also is a light better or a ceramic bulb better???

should we turn off a ceramic heat bulb at night, I heard its better for a temp drop at night for a veiled chameleon, also is a light better or a ceramic bulb better???

No light at night. Chameleons need total darkness to be able to sleep. Also yes a temp drop at night is recommended. I think as long as you don't go under 50 you should be fine, but let's wait for someone with more experience to confirm :)

No light at night. Chameleons need total darkness to be able to sleep. Also yes a temp drop at night is recommended. I think as long as you don't go under 50 you should be fine, but let's wait for someone with more experience to confirm :)

Ceramic heat Bulbs don't give off light, they're used for nighttime heating without producing a visible light. For a veiled, temps should not drop below 60 degrees. A temperature drop is recommended from day to night to simulate a temp drop in the wild. Only in the event your night time temps are below 60 would I recommend a ceramic heater. If not, get rid of it all together.

I was actually wondering too, why aren’t ceramic bulbs that emit no light not the preference for a basking heat for chameleons? I keep seeing so many eye problems throughout the forums potentially by the lights, so why aren’t they used instead?

i think its because the chameleons need a simulation of day and night so with out the light then they don't have that.

I was actually wondering too, why aren’t ceramic bulbs that emit no light not the preference for a basking heat for chameleons? I keep seeing so many eye problems throughout the forums potentially by the lights, so why aren’t they used instead?
think of it this way... Chameleons move toward the light source for heat. So if there is no light being produced they are not being directed to the light source that is providing the heat. Like for us on a sunny day. If we want to feel the suns warmth on our face we would move out of the shade into the visible light to feel the heat. :)

Back
Top Bottom