Centipedes In soil

I think that's one of the greenhouse millipedes that get everywhere. I have them as well. I'd remove them if you can, but it can be tricky to get them all. If you can't it's not the end of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_millipede

I do not like the millipedes, but I am going to waffle a bit and say I am not sure I'm ready to commit and say they're "bad." I would still get rid of them if possible.

They're bad in my setup because I have a piece of grapewood that they are actively eating, which means I will soon need a replacement. I suspect they also hasten the breakdown of vivarium substrate that contains wood, meaning you'll need to add more, which can be difficult in a heavily planted enclosure. They also smell bad and seem to escape enclosures more readily than isopods in my experience, which is gross.

I think they're a mild nuisance. Supposedly some vivarium creators will use them as detritivores the way most people use isopods. And they will clean your enclosure, they just may also eat hardscape elements that you don't want to be eaten. They might also outcompete your isopods depending on what species you have. They will not harm your chameleon and I have never had them go after my live plants.

This is a good point, in large numbers they can clean just a little too good. They would eat chunks of wood in my enclosure. Didn't bother the branches for the most part so it didn't bother me. Also didn't outcompete my canyon isos, but could see them doing it with other slower species.

Back
Top Bottom