Natural Cure-All for Gnats & for chams that eat dirt!

WilcoxAE

Established Member
If you are one of us that insist on having live plants in our chameleon's houses, you have probably had a run in with those wonderful and pesky friends that fly up your nose, Fungus Gnats.

The females happily flit all around from plant to plant laying eggs in the soil. Making more gnats and annoying your house guests and landing in your food, flying up your nose, and leave you fanning at "invisible things" in front of your friends.

Instead of using something that could poison your chams either through ingestion of the plant or through accidental ingestion of the spray, get a sack of sand.

Yes, sand with granules larger than beach sand which is way too fine and would sift into the soil, but smaller than your common aquarium gravel. Almost like decorative sand. Almost like the grain of the stuff used in japanese table top rock gardens.

It will prevent the gnats from getting to the moist soil and laying eggs as the sand more or less stays dry on top. Additionally, it's small enough grit to hurt the larvae that are already in the dirt as they crawl up and die in the sand.

If your cham ingests it, nothing happens. It's just grit. In fact, I tripped over this by accident while attempting to keep one of my male veileds from his favorite past-time of eating dirt and getting constipated from it. (Silly fool. He did it when he was sexually frustrated. He get's plenty of nutrients...just get's upset when he doesn't get any.)

Hope this helps. It has both cured the gnat problem and the chameleon eating dirt problem.

Cheers! :D
Wilcox

I don't believe that aquarium gravel would have fine enough granules to have the same effect as it provides enough cracks for the gnat larvae and gnats themselves to get through.

I also would be more concerned with the ability for this to possibly cause impaction in the event it is still ingested by a chameleon.

My brother, being an avid aquarium fish and aquatic plant breeder, has drying gravel almost everywhere of varying grit sizes and I have seen little gnats crawling in and out of it of some.

Really though, it depends on the gravel size you have. Could be worth a shot to try! Why not and just watch the chameleon doesn't do something too silly. If all else fails, you could always put a finer grit sand over it later.

If your cham ingests it, nothing happens. It's just grit. In fact, I tripped over this by accident while attempting to keep one of my male veileds from his favorite past-time of eating dirt and getting constipated from it.
Cheers! :D
Wilcox

I would not be too confident that "nothing happens." Horses die from sand colic, which is caused by eating sand along with their food. All kinds of things happen with horses with sand in their gut, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same things happened with chameleons. One thing sand does (in horses) is irritate the intestinal lining, causing all kinds of problems.

I would not be too confident that "nothing happens." Horses die from sand colic, which is caused by eating sand along with their food. All kinds of things happen with horses with sand in their gut, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same things happened with chameleons. One thing sand does (in horses) is irritate the intestinal lining, causing all kinds of problems.

I have to agree with this. I have seen a cham just packed full of "sand" before. If the cham can pick up a load of sand on its tongue, it can ingest it. Even if it doesn't cause an impaction it can irritate the lining of their GI tract.

Yeah same with reptiles.. a horses amune system much better too i wwould amagine

For my chameleon (amblobe panther i think) she dont havemuch suction wit her tongue and i think the gravel i have might workt.. she also has deadily aim and 99 % of the time she is picking off her food from the walls of the cage.. it sucks that the vines are so close together so i would have to use something fine ill post pics of my progress and share my opinion tommorow apon this matter.. i am no expert by any means but i know from years of experiance that sand is not a good idea forany reptile for many reasons..

Jake...If she's trying to eat the artificial plants then you need to get them out of there. FWIW...i would not use the gravel either.

Back
Top Bottom