Catching/attracting flies as Cham food?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I'm new here.
I still have not gotten my Chameleons because in getting everything ready for them first.
They're going to be living outdoors in south Florida in open aired mesh aviaries.
Can I supplement feeding with common flies?
Has/Does anyone attract flies so that their Chameleons can eat them?
It seems like I could hang up a peice of fruit or something and have flies buzzing into my cages all day long.
Is that ok? Or are the concerns of disease too severe?......or something else.
Thank you

I leave my cham on the lanai and don't mind when he guns down the random flying insect. That being said, I don't think you'd really want to attract them per se. The random passerby is plenty to keep them entertained. You really wouldn't want them eating mostly, or even lots, of wild flies as there's no telling what they've been into. If you wanted to go that route, I'd suggest just buying the larvae and "breeding" them inside your enclosure.

That's my view anyway... best wishes

My enclosures are bird aviaries with 3/8" mesh.
More then small enough to keep Chams inside, but flies, etc. Would come and go at will.

My enclosures are bird aviaries with 3/8" mesh.
More then small enough to keep Chams inside, but flies, etc. Would come and go at will.
You'd be surprised how close to home they stay. I breed BSF/L in a viv on my lanai. It's got many holes and the door doesnt really close right. Very rarely do I find them in the lanai, i usually have to fish them out of the viv and throw them at the lanai screen so they take off for target practice. I leave my door open and have yet to see one in the house. (From the porch anyway... I throw some in the cages in my reptile room...)

Back
Top Bottom