Catawba Worms

lyanlynn

Have any of you ever tried Catawba Worms? I got my silkworms today and they remind me of the catawba worms I use to play with when I was little. My dad and uncles used them to fish with, but I was wondering if they would be good for chameleons. Tweety and Licky both love the silkies. These are fascinating little, um, large worms.

Here is how they look.
photo6.jpg

If they're used as bait with fish they SHOULDN'T be toxic, I would assume.

But I wouldn't feed it to them. They are Catalpa worms, by the way. :p

From http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/Catalpa-Worm.htm
Ok, if you already know it is a catalpa worm, then it is NOT poisonous, OR venomous. 'Poisonous' means something is toxic if it is ingested (eaten). 'Venomous' means its bite or sting is dangerous.

Catalpa worms eat ONLY catalpa, so it won't eat if it is not on that tree. Further, it probably won't eat just 'any' catalpa. Plants defend themselves with toxic chemicals in their sap, and some individual plants and trees are more toxic than others, even within the same species, and in the same location! That is why you will see some trees almost completely defoliated, while other trees right next to them are virtually unaffected.

Sphinx moth larvae, including catalpa worms, pupate in the soil, so if you continue keeping your caterpillar, provide a terrerium with a few inches of slightly compacted soil so it can burrow down when it is time for it to graduate to the next part of its life cycle.

Hope this helps..

They are related to hornworms and eat a toxic plant.

I would not feed them off. If you really wanted to, keep some, get them to pupate, and then breed the moths. When the eggs hatch, try feeding them silkworm chow (same stuff that is hornworm chow). If you feed the the catalpa tree, I bet they would be poisonous.

Hornworms are also toxic as wild caught because they eat members of the nightshade family of plants (tomato, potato, tobacco, eggplant)

Gotcha! I just remember having these as kids to play with. They secret this icky yellow stuff that stains your hands. I don't have any to try and feed, but it was thought. They seem to more expensive than silk worms. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom