Casque shape?

Nutmeg

I have had flick for about a month now. He has had a funny casque since we got him but I wasn't sure if it was normal, a deformity, or something worse. It looks like someone pinched the sking together on the back. I will include some pics to try and show. I am going to be changing his light because I don't think it's a proper uvb (came with a kit) and he gets calcium without d3 every other day, with d3 every 2 weeks, and vitamins monthly. He will also be getting a live plant in as well

Attachments

• 20210115_121954.jpg
    20210115_121954.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210115_101125.jpg
    20210115_101125.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210115_121940.jpg
    20210115_121940.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 92
hi welcome to the forum! can you send a picture of the enclosure from the lights down?
is he in the reptibreeze chameleon kit?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

hi welcome to the forum! can you send a picture of the enclosure from the lights down?
is he in the reptibreeze chameleon kit?
I believe he is. And am getting new lights and a plants soon as well as getting rid of the rug!

Attachments

• 20210115_133451.jpg
    20210115_133451.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 76
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I was typing up the response when you reposted but ill go and copy it!

I was typing up the response when you reposted but ill go and copy it!
Okay I hope I answer everything.
Flick is a male vieled. Not sure of the age but I've had him for 1 month now. I was told that he may be about 4-6 months based on his patterns.
I do not pick him up or anything. He really doesn't like it but has definitely been warming up to me. When my husband bought him he was told it was the most aggressive cham they'd ever see. He has never been aggressive towards me and will just chill in one spot even if my hand is close
I am feeding him crickets 2 times a day. I feed him however many he'll eat then take any extras I take out. For water I spray or mist the cage 2 times a day for 1 or 2 minutes and I run a dripper between sprays. I have seen him drink from the water and there is no sign of dehydration in his urate. When I see a fresh feces I will check again and let you know.
I lightly dust the crickets with calcium without d3 every other day and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. He also gets the reptivite vitamins weekly
His cage is in my bedroom which is the warmest room and he sits in front of a window. His cage is also a screen but I am not sure the exact dimensions but I plant to find a bigger one anyway cause he's growing still
I have the lighting that comes with the kit and am looking for a uvb to replace it. His temps are measured 3 times a day with a I think probe thermometer I move around to different levels and spots in the cage. The very top right under the light gets to 80 and the ground to 70. Lights on at 10 am and off at 10 pm but he seems to go to bed sooner so I may change that. At night the temp is usually 75.
Not sure if I mentioned but the cage sits on my dresser and we live in northeast florida

Attachments

• 20210115_101125.jpg
    20210115_101125.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210111_215723.jpg
    20210111_215723.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 75
I have had flick for about a month now. He has had a funny casque since we got him but I wasn't sure if it was normal, a deformity, or something worse. It looks like someone pinched the sking together on the back. I will include some pics to try and show. I am going to be changing his light because I don't think it's a proper uvb (came with a kit) and he gets calcium without d3 every other day, with d3 every 2 weeks, and vitamins monthly. He will also be getting a live plant in as well
If I'm understanding what you're talking about with his casque correctly, they're called occipital lobes and are a normal part of their anatomy. Here's a website that says a little about them and has some pictures of various different species of chameleon with occipital lobes lower down on the page. http://www.chameleondatabase.com/2019/02/21/crest-and-scale-terminology/

Hi (don't know if i already posted this) keep your lights 12 on 12 off my girl goes to bed a couple of hours before lights out so she can find a nice safe place to rest for the night. And read her book only joking 🙃

I think you are already looking at plants . Pothos and wandering jew are pretty good growers . But if you can mature Pothos happy days

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201216-113041_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201216-113041_Drive.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20200820-133854_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133854_Chrome.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 73
I think you are already looking at plants . Pothos and wandering jew are pretty good growers . But if you can mature Pothos happy days
I actually just ordered a pothos! I also ordered some stones to cover the sand with. I just hope the light from the window is enough to grow it. I'm bad with plants so I went for an easier looking one

Hi (don't know if i already posted this) keep your lights 12 on 12 off my girl goes to bed a couple of hours before lights out so she can find a nice safe place to rest for the night. And read her book only joking 🙃
Okay so I don't have to turn the light off early? I always did 10-10 but was worried maybe it was too long

My feedback and any questions will be in red. I’ll also post some helpful links and pics at the end!

Okay I hope I answer everything.
Flick is a male vieled. Not sure of the age but I've had him for 1 month now. I was told that he may be about 4-6 months based on his patterns.
I do not pick him up or anything. He really doesn't like it but has definitely been warming up to me. When my husband bought him he was told it was the most aggressive cham they'd ever see. He has never been aggressive towards me and will just chill in one spot even if my hand is close
I am feeding him crickets 2 times a day. I feed him however many he'll eat then take any extras I take out. At his age, he should only be fed 5 appropriately sized feeder insects every other day around 30 minutes after his basking bulb turns on. What do you gutload with?
For water I spray or mist the cage 2 times a day for 1 or 2 minutes and I run a dripper between sprays. I have seen him drink from the water and there is no sign of dehydration in his urate. When I see a fresh feces I will check again and let you know. Ideally mist for at least 2 minutes long. What times of day do you mist?
I lightly dust the crickets with calcium without d3 every other day and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. He also gets the reptivite vitamins weekly What version of Reptivite do you have (with or without D3)? Multivitamins are given every two weeks, just like the calcium with D3. What brand(s) do you use?
His cage is in my bedroom which is the warmest room and he sits in front of a window. His cage is also a screen but I am not sure the exact dimensions but I plant to find a bigger one anyway cause he's growing still Does the window let in heat or cold or is it energy efficient? Can he see his reflection in the window? His adult cage needs to be a minimum of 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall, but preferably 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger
I have the lighting that comes with the kit and am looking for a uvb to replace it. You’re already looking for linear UVB replacements, but the blue basking bulb should be changed out as well. A regular white light household incandescent bulb. The wattage depends on where his temps need to be.
His temps are measured 3 times a day with a I think probe thermometer I move around to different levels and spots in the cage. The very top right under the light gets to 80 and the ground to 70. Lights on at 10 am and off at 10 pm but he seems to go to bed sooner so I may change that. At night the temp is usually 75. Where his casque or top of his back goes under the basking lamp can get up to 85*F, depending on his age, if he’s too cold. A nighttime temperature drop is recommended for veileds. It can safely get down to 50-60*F, but most keep it at 55-65*F at night.
Not sure if I mentioned but the cage sits on my dresser and we live in northeast florida
All plastic plants need to come out ASAP. Veileds are known to eat plants, and a fake one can cause impaction. @Flick boy posted a great and veiled tested live plant list, along the food chart. I’ll post the updated gutload chart. Make sure to properly clean off all new plants and cover the soil in the pot with rocks too big for your chameleon to eat.

What are your nighttime and daytime humidity levels, and how do you measure them?

Here are some great links!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 68
Okay so I don't have to turn the light off early? I always did 10-10 but was worried maybe it was too long
Nope, 12 hours with all lights on and 12 hours with all lights off. Though you could change the cycle to more match up with the natural sunrise times. Like 7am-7pm or 8am-8pm, etc.

I actually just bought a golden pothos and some rocks to cover the tops! They will be here by the 18th
I would buy more plants, too, if you haven’t already. Veileds cages need 100% live plants, no fakes. The more foliage, the better!

You can get branches from outside but avoid pine or trees with high levels of sap in them . Most on here recommend using dawn soap to disinfect and then dry them I put mine in the hotpress dont know what you call them in the states .

Back
Top Bottom