Casque leaning

Alastair&Anna

Established Member
Hey guys, it's been a hot minute cause I've been hella busy. I'm just gonna get straight to the point. I just got home from a 10 day trip from Florida and I checked up on my boys. I took a look at Alastair, my 1.4 year old chameleon, and noticed that his casque was crooked ever so slightly to the right. My dog sitter/angry tongue lizards sitter mentioned that he had just finished shedding. I just wanted to check up and see what other people think before I freak out lol.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Alastair is a male veiled chameleon that is 1.4 years old, I've had him since he was 2 months old.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not too often, only once in awhile to get him some sun.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He eats dubia roaches, some black soldier fly larvae, and occasionally crickets. He eats every other day to every 2 days

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Rep-Cal calcium without D3 and Rep-Cal with D3, along with the multivitamin thing that im too lazy to look at rn lol.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a mist king hooked up to both of my chameleons cage, it goes off for a min and a half morning and night. Yes i have caught him drinking lol he thinks he is so sneaky.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop looks pretty normal, brown(hydrated) with white urate. Yeah he was tested once when he was a baby.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Hes got a screen cage, 2 x 3 x 5 (in feet) that I built myself.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use reptisun 24w T5. lights on at 8am and off at 8pm

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? his basking is 84-86 F and his floor is like 72 F, I use a reptile thermometer, at night its prolly like 72-74F

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity is 50-60% I use a humidity gauge. (live plants and misting)

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, umbrella tree propagations, some kind of palm tree

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room, its about a foot or 2 off the floor, but its huge, so it cant be much further up lol. It is in the same room as my ceiling fan. The top of the cage is like a foot from my ceiling.

• Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in california, the bay area, near san jose.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. as i addressed above, his casque sightly crooked.

thanks in advance for any help!!

1658005924865.png
1658005937955.png
lol he looks so mad at me

What are you using for uvb. If that just popped up while gone. I'd guess he fell on head. My veiled is slightly bent but can't really tell at all. Yours is very noticeable.

What are you using for uvb. If that just popped up while gone. I'd guess he fell on head. My veiled is slightly bent but can't really tell at all. Yours is very noticeable.
like i said above, im using a linear T5 reptisun bulb 24w. smh i can actually picture him falling on his head cause he's clumsy af 💀

Also what's your Supplements schedule what's days he get what. A clumsy cham is an indicator that something is off and not right
I believe the uvb is 10%, and he gets calcium without d3 most of the time, and then once a month I do with d3, and every other month I use the reptivitamins instead of the calcium with d3.

And I wouldnt say he's clumsy, he just does stupid things sometimes, like trying to get a bug at a weird angle, or not being aware that a branch can't take his full weight.

I believe the uvb is 10%, and he gets calcium without d3 most of the time, and then once a month I do with d3, and every other month I use the reptivitamins instead of the calcium with d3.

And I wouldnt say he's clumsy, he just does stupid things sometimes, like trying to get a bug at a weird angle, or not being aware that a branch can't take his full weight.
Hi, there! I don't have enough time to go over your form, so hopefully someone else will come along soon! For clarification, what the distance from UVB bulb to basking branch, what brand is your multivitamin, and does your multivitamin have D3 in it? Your supplement schedule should be calcium without D3 every feeding, calcium with D3 once every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 once every two weeks, so those last two are alternating every week

Hi, there! I don't have enough time to go over your form, so hopefully someone else will come along soon! For clarification, what the distance from UVB bulb to basking branch, what brand is your multivitamin, and does your multivitamin have D3 in it? Your supplement schedule should be calcium without D3 every feeding, calcium with D3 once every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 once every two weeks, so those last two are alternating every week
I use reptivite with d3, and I think the only thing that is off with my schedule is that I do d3 every 2.5-3 weeks instead of 2

I use reptivite with d3, and I think the only thing that is off with my schedule is that I do d3 every 2.5-3 weeks instead of 2
So you'll need to stop using the calcium with D3 then. Just use calcium without D3 every feeding, except once every other week, when you'll use the Reptivite With D3. Do you know the distance from the UVB bulb to the baking branch?

So you'll need to stop using the calcium with D3 then. Just use calcium without D3 every feeding, except once every other week, when you'll use the Reptivite With D3. Do you know the distance from the UVB bulb to the baking branch?
The uvb isn't over the basking branch, when I get home I can send a pic of the enclosure to elaborate more.

Pics would be great, thanks! What's the distance from the closest branch under the UVB light to the UVB light?
Alright, this is what his enclosure looks like. I think the closest branch is 8 to 10 in, should it be closer?

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_230450362.jpg
    PXL_20220718_230450362.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 85
His cage looks great, but it would look even better with more hanging plants, vines, and branches everywhere. That'll also help provide cover from his heat and UVB and give more options for areas to bask under the heat and UVB, too! Extra pathways are always welcome, as well!

His cage looks great, but it would look even better with more hanging plants, vines, and branches everywhere. That'll also help provide cover from his heat and UVB and give more options for areas to bask under the heat and UVB, too!
mhm i def agree, with my next paycheck im planning on getting a lot more plants for both him and randall. smfh he ate all of his pothos that was offering most of the coverage.

Ok so is it possible that the bending could be from him sleeping with his casque pressed against the top screen? Cause I can't rlly see another reason why it would be like that, other than it just being the way that his casque is. Or, he was a dumbass and fell on his head, but idk 😐.

Ok so is it possible that the bending could be from him sleeping with his casque pressed against the top screen? Cause I can't rlly see another reason why it would be like that, other than it just being the way that his casque is. Or, he was a dumbass and fell on his head, but idk 😐.
I’m going to say that it is possible. My boy rubbed his head against the side of his box when taking him out for a vet visit and for a while the very tip was ever so slightly bent. I think there’s also genetics to consider…some chams may just have the tendency to have different casques.

Back
Top Bottom