Carpet

dco1990

Hey everybody,

I have been viewing this website on a daily basis for the last few months as i plan on getting a cham by the end of summer. I originally planned on purchasing a veiled chameleon since they are available at many local pet/reptile stores, but after researching i have discovered that animals at the pet stores aren't usually properly taken care of. After looking around at other species, i have become fascinated with the carpet chameleon and now that is the species i would prefer to have, especially since they are smaller than veileds (easier to convince my mom lol) anyways i was wondering if you guys think a carpet chameleon would be a good first cham? especially since most seem to be WC, and i was wondering about the average price as i have only seen a few for sale but the prices varied greatly.

I believe FL Chams has CB and WC Carpets. Any of the site sponsors that have Carpets will be a good choice since they really know how to acclimate WC animals. Just ask questions(alot) and make sure you know what your getting into....Carpets might not be the best to get for a first Cham though...........If this is your first reptile, get something that is easier to care for and wont hurt the wallet as much......Dragons or Cresties are a good choice.

This will indeed be my first reptile. Im not very interested in any other lizard, there's just something about chameleons that is so unique that makes me want one so badly. Like I said, I have been browsing this forum a lot and have learned a great amount of information. I am determined and confident that i will be able to provide the proper care for my animal if I happen to get one.

Call Mike @ Florida Chams (sponser info @ top of Forum). He can provide the Cham and the enclosure.:D

Nick

I have a carpet chameleon and a rudis chameleon. From basic research you will see that the montane species of chameleons (like rudis and carpets) are said to be more of a challenge. So far from my experience with chameleons, which is only a few months :rolleyes:, I have had no tremendous difficulties raising either of these chameleons. I think the "challenge" stems from wether or not you are truly passionate about the animals. I have kept several reptiles in the past and I found that overtime I became bored. Chameleons on the other hand are much more different, they require you to become a fine-tuned herp keeper/collector and are simply amazing. Everyday I find myself growing more and more attached. Caring for chameleons is a never ending process in the sense that there is always more to learn and it requires you to continually tweak your husbandry. In my opinion, the type of challenge depends on the willingness of the keeper. If your fascinated by these creatures like most of us members on the forum are and you understand that you will have to devote a lot of time, then I see no problems with you purchasing a carpet. When it comes to purchasing a chameleon, remember that time is on your side and the more thought/research you put into it, the better off both you and your chameleon will be. When it comes to making your purchase, stick with the sponsors on the forum (my carpet came from FL chams).

I have a carpet chameleon and a rudis chameleon. From basic research you will see that the montane species of chameleons (like rudis and carpets) are said to be more of a challenge. So far from my experience with chameleons, which is only a few months :rolleyes:, I have had no tremendous difficulties raising either of these chameleons. I think the "challenge" stems from wether or not you are truly passionate about the animals. I have kept several reptiles in the past and I found that overtime I became bored. Chameleons on the other hand are much more different, they require you to become a fine-tuned herp keeper/collector and are simply amazing. Everyday I find myself growing more and more attached. Caring for chameleons is a never ending process in the sense that there is always more to learn and it requires you to continually tweak your husbandry. In my opinion, the type of challenge depends on the willingness of the keeper. If your fascinated by these creatures like most of us members on the forum are, then I see no problems with you purchasing a carpet. When it comes to purchasing a chameleon, remember that time is on your side and the more thought/research you put into it, the better off both you and your chameleon will be. When it comes to making your purchase, stick with the sponsors on the forum (my carpet came from FL chams).
I agree, on the boredom part....Chams keep my interest more and make me be more involved with their upkeep then say my boas.....the only thing is I think hes a bit young...has to talk his mom into it. At younger ages, interest change quickly..........

At younger ages, interest change quickly..........

Well I guess this is true, that would explain why kids in pet stores go ga-ga for every animal they see and cry their eyes out until their parents buy them one :p. But I believe dco1990 would have already bought the chameleon, had he thought like "younger aged" people. He is clearly putting some type of thought into this, which is a good start. Also I am guessing he was born in the year 1990? So he is most likely 19 (my same age). There are some members of this forum that are much younger and have tremendous success keeping chameleons.

Thanks for all the info everybody, i really appreciate it. And im not too young, im 19 and in college its just my mom doesn't like reptiles and i still live at home for the time being :)

I actually think people who haven't owned any reptiles before are good candidates for chameleons. They have less bad habits to break.

Find someone who is successful in keeping carpets, particularly like mike at FL chams or Jim at the chameleon company who both have had successful breeding programs with them.. and follow their care instructions to the letter. As long as you're diligent and precise, you'll be fine.

I'd say 75% of the dead chameleons out there are a result of someone trying to apply previous reptile experience inappropriately to chameleons. Usually in the form of way too much heat, humidity, and handling.

Back
Top Bottom