Carpet Chameleon?

I have extra lights from my leopard geckos I don’t use anymore ready so all I would need is UVB and a mister. I’m thinking of buying a Thrive brand automatic mister (I’ll do more research into it.) since they’re cheap but also small. I have a big mister for my two veiled boys. Just seems economical to have a small mister instead of buying another big one.
Even a basic MistKing will handle 10 nozzles. Any chance of expanding/extending what you have for the two veileds?

PetSmart kinda lost me with their Thrive banner showing a bearded dragon in Monument Valley, AZ/UT. It's the kind of thing that makes one wonder if they really know what they're doing/talking about, or if Product Development and Marketing don't talk to each other.

I’ll definitely have money to get it checked out by a vet. I will be getting one of my veils checked out though because I got him with a bent casque, I just want to make sure that MBD isn’t a problem for him now. He also lived 3 years without a heat lamp or UVB so I think a check up is needed lol. With that being said, it might be a bit before I get the carpet cham (if I do I’m still making decisions!!). I will definitely take him to a vet though (if I get him!!)
(y)

Based on colors and patterns it looks like a female to me. If she is captive bred/hatched the pet store should have an idea of the age. This species is SHORT lived 18 months to two years(max). They are really cool little guys. Just gotta be prepared to not have them long.
Good luck if you decide to go for it.

20190816_141335_resized.jpg

This was the male I had
20191020_115208.jpg

This was the female.

Even a basic MistKing will handle 10 nozzles. Any chance of expanding/extending what you have for the two veileds?

PetSmart kinda lost me with their Thrive banner showing a bearded dragon in Monument Valley, AZ/UT. It's the kind of thing that makes one wonder if they really know what they're doing/talking about, or if Product Development and Marketing don't talk to each other.

(y)
I second this. Skip the Thrive misting system. It doesn’t even give you the option of the correct durations you would need. Just invest in the MistKing. It’s worth every penny.

(y)
I second this. Skip the Thrive misting system. It doesn’t even give you the option of the correct durations you would need. Just invest in the MistKing. It’s worth every penny.
I don’t have a mistking. I have a repti zoo mister which I’ve had pretty good success with. I got it to spray morning, evening, and once at night. I could get more nozzles for it and add from there. Only reason I have repti zoo is because I got it for free from the person I bought Jagras off of. I was going to get a mistking. Looking into reviews of the thrive misting system I mist as well expand on my reptizoo or get a mistking finally.

8C34D557-022A-4F9E-922D-8029D06A669B.jpeg

Based on colors and patterns it looks like a female to me. If she is captive bred/hatched the pet store should have an idea of the age. This species is SHORT lived 18 months to two years(max). They are really cool little guys. Just gotta be prepared to not have them long.
Good luck if you decide to go for it.

View attachment 307256
This was the male I had
View attachment 307257
This was the female.
Man they’re beautiful. I’ll have to go and take a closer look and get more pictures of it for you guys.

Short lifespan doesn’t bother me much. Just more incentive to go get it lol!

I’ll be calling a vet today to get my Zeppelin boy in. After that I’ll focus on upgrading my other veiled to a bigger cage and looking into getting a cage ready for this carpet

I got my Cham in for a appt today! It’ll be a new vet which I’m nervous about but also a drop off. So while he’s being examined I can check out the carpet cham a bit more.

had to go to a new vet and try them out, the last vet I was going to royally sucked and was no help. Paid 80$ just for her to state the obvious and tell me to drive 4 hours to another exotic vet. Wish me luck that this vet is my savior 🙏

Got some more pics if it’s cage and it. Some of them are horrible quality due to the light though.
1AFA83FF-BFD0-4958-B5A2-F659944763F4.jpeg 4BC90C3D-7466-417B-A31A-ED4473BBC4E9.jpeg D522CF67-390E-4F00-88C4-825929A568A3.jpeg 137CC9D6-F872-4A79-945B-F24317DC6B59.jpeg
Cage quality is bad and its eye is still closed. I’m thinking of trying to lower the price on it a bit because of its eye problem. Pics are taken on the side of the eye that’s not good. Makes me feel bad for the poor buggar

Just got back from the vet with zeppelin too and it was great! Got him dewormed incase he did and they checked his bones to see if any were spongy and broken. Along with weight and general physical stuff. He wasn’t happy about the deworming but it was good for him. He’s at home now and happy.
88C9CD81-0BA2-4957-8657-DF1B0929E756.jpeg

Make sure you have everything properly set up and running, including a lay bin, for her. You want everything dialed in and prepared before getting her. I'd also line up a vet appointment, too. Does your vet have reputable experience with chameleons? Usually you don't deworm chams unless you find something in a fecal test, then treat for that thing.

Make sure you have everything properly set up and running, including a lay bin, for her. You want everything dialed in and prepared before getting her. I'd also line up a vet appointment, too. Does your vet have reputable experience with chameleons? Usually you don't deworm chams unless you find something in a fecal test, then treat for that thing.
I think I’ll wait before getting the Cham. Get my other boy upgraded. The junk cage is pretty crappy.

The vet and I was talking and she asked if I noticed anything peculiar with his fecal matter or brought any. I said I didn’t bring any and didn’t notice much from his fecals, but knew his last owner fed him wild caught grasshoppers at time. She decided to be safe and offer deworming. It wasn’t necessary nor required and she even asked me if I wanted to do it. I agreed to it just to make sure he’s 100% healthy and ready to go. Besides that he got a pretty clean bill of health. It was a general deworming agent.

Alright good news…

Just ordered a cage upgrade for my veiled cham baby. That means the cage he’s in will be freed up soon. I’ll be getting more plants and slowly getting ready to go save the little buddy in the shop. Wish me luck. I’ll try to keep you guys updated! 🙏

I realized I didn’t answer if they have experience. Yes they do! They have a few people who studied exotics like chameleons. Sorry if the last answer came off a bit defensive, just was explaining why it happened!

I still think it's a male. From the first pic, it looks like you can see a sizeable hemipenal bulge. I've seen pics of males with that coloration as well. Just look at this pic from madcham.

2021-08-09.png

Sorry for the screenshot, but it wouldn't let me download from their site.

Their hemipenal bulge is ginormous and hard to miss. If you can take a pic from the side, it would be easy to tell. Most pet stores don't go based off the colors but rather if they have a hemipenal bulge, so I'm also assuming that's why the pet store labeled the cham as male. Though, pet stores (and I) are known to make mistakes from time to time. Though it never hurts to put a lay bin in an enclosure.

While @KRGEE21's female lateralis has similar colors, the tail base is considerably smaller. Lateralis packs heavy. I've seen lateralis of all different colors, so it isn't really a one-size-fits-all scenario for easy categorization. The tail base is your best bet.

Glad your vet has experience with chams!

P.S--cham is a male IMO. Sorry, I had to say it one more time :)

I still think it's a male. From the first pic, it looks like you can see a sizeable hemipenal bulge. I've seen pics of males with that coloration as well. Just look at this pic from madcham.

View attachment 307327
Sorry for the screenshot, but it wouldn't let me download from their site.

Their hemipenal bulge is ginormous and hard to miss. If you can take a pic from the side, it would be easy to tell. Most pet stores don't go based off the colors but rather if they have a hemipenal bulge, so I'm also assuming that's why the pet store labeled the cham as male. Though, pet stores (and I) are known to make mistakes from time to time. Though it never hurts to put a lay bin in an enclosure.

While @KRGEE21's female lateralis has similar colors, the tail base is considerably smaller. Lateralis packs heavy. I've seen lateralis of all different colors, so it isn't really a one-size-fits-all scenario for easy categorization. The tail base is your best bet.

Glad your vet has experience with chams!

P.S--cham is a male IMO. Sorry, I had to say it one more time :)
I’m with you saying it’s a male for the time being. I really tried to get a good look at it’s hemipenal bulge. The lighting from the red light and the dimness of the room it’s in really didn’t aid me. But I noticed a slight bulge and that it was somewhat thick.

I’ll be modifying a hospital tub for it today. I have a Tupperware ware tub that would be perfect. I just need to take my Dremel and get good ventilation going. Might be sooner than later I get it but I’m pretty dead set on getting the little guy.

The best hospital tub, used by many on this site, is just a normal amazon shipping box. The less he has to see, the better. You want something that will block out the light completely. This way he'll close his eyes and "sleep" it out. Having a see-through container will only make him more stressed and worried. He'd rather feel enclosed and secure than feeling exposed and vunerable.

If you already have the Tupperware container ready, you can just wrap a towel around it or set it in a backpack or bag of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom