Carpet Cham One Eye Closed

I'm at work today so I put the Mrs on detail to periodically check up on him...so far each time shes checked said both eyes open...monitoring continues.

what about a panther or a veiled with vision issues? im pretty sure if it was vit A issues ive been told that they would get the same treatment. ive also seen to give them only a drop on a feeder like every week. why does a carpet cham which is much smaller require such a big dose? im learning vitamin A, so please correct me if im misinformed. thanks.

Good deal. Glad it worked out. Hopefully in a day or two he won't be closing his eyes at all. If not, then we need to consider something else is going on and go from there.
Ok so I was able to get another vid this morning...still looks like hes closing and sporadically pulling in his left eye...also, the eye looks misshapen...just after the 1min mark he faces me head on, can see his right eye perfectly round and the left looks droopy or something.

Have you tried to put him on a plant in your ahower, and aim the shower head at the wall? For some reason it seems to work better than relying on a mister to do the job.

Ok so I was able to get another vid this morning...still looks like hes closing and sporadically pulling in his left eye...also, the eye looks misshapen...just after the 1min mark he faces me head on, can see his right eye perfectly round and the left looks droopy or something.

Something is going on but it is now getting harder to say exactly what. Could be dirt still, and you can try another show where he doesn't have the option to really get out of the mist. Another thing you can try is turning off the UVB light and seeing if that helps with him keeping it open. That most likely isn't the issue but easy to at least rule out. If all else fails, it will be time for a vet visit so that they can look at his eye closer and if necessary give some medication.

what about a panther or a veiled with vision issues? im pretty sure if it was vit A issues ive been told that they would get the same treatment. ive also seen to give them only a drop on a feeder like every week. why does a carpet cham which is much smaller require such a big dose? im learning vitamin A, so please correct me if im misinformed. thanks.

I don't know the internal reasons but I found it to be very common in carpets vs other species. I wouldn't recommend giving any liquid Vit A to a chameleon unless it has a known issue. The multivitamins in the dusting supplements will cover the needed Vit A most times so adding more could cause negative affects.

Something is going on but it is now getting harder to say exactly what. Could be dirt still, and you can try another show where he doesn't have the option to really get out of the mist. Another thing you can try is turning off the UVB light and seeing if that helps with him keeping it open. That most likely isn't the issue but easy to at least rule out. If all else fails, it will be time for a vet visit so that they can look at his eye closer and if necessary give some medication.
During my research it mentioned Vit A deficiency, it also said possibly too much UVB...I've had him since the day before Halloween and this just started around 2.5 weeks ago...Would the UVB bulb be at its strongest on the very beginning and then start to weaken as time progresses? Still in case it is too much I reduced it a lot by adding double layer of screen under the fixture...I can see a big difference with reduced lighting so I know it worked

I was able to get him in the shower, man he hates it... it took about 10min before he would calm down..gets all frantic and almost to the point he ends up making himself fall...I have to keep my hands below him just in case...but finally calmed down...had him in there for a good 20min, prob more.

Clip of his shower...the picture below was after his shower...basking getting body temp back up

IMG_20170131_153321_zpshssvpyc8.jpg

Here is my suggestion.... my 2secret ingredients to share with all u chameleon craze people.
"Ginger n Garlic" on the dry gutload.
The ancient herb and spice knowledge was passed on by the Ancient ancestors for more than 5000 years. Ginger was first discovered in south-east Asia, and it has been highly regarded for it’s healing properties as a universal medicine.
Garlic is rich in nutrients like Selenium, Quercetin and Vitamin C that helps treat eye infections and swellings.
Together in a very slight amount to make the Dry gutload will prevent lots eye problem.
U will have to observe ur chameleon's eyes daily,prevention is always better than the treatment afterwards,and these are my health chameleon eyes "weapons" and so far so good.

At this point, I think your only option is the vet. If I was able to see him in person it would make this easier but now I would just be guessing as to what is causing it and since it isn't getting any better you don't want his eye to have permanent damage so hopefully a vet visit will help resolve what the issue is.

I had the same issue with my cham, to the point that he had both eyes closed. It ended up being dirt in his eyes, that he couldn't get out. I got an antibiotic/steroid ointment from my vet and just a teeny dab in each eye was enough for him to work it out, and within a couple of days, his eyes were normal again. Sadly, I didn't realize how grave his condition was, at the time, because with both eyes closed he couldn't eat, and was loosing a lot of weight. I almost lost him, but thankfully, I got him to the vet just in time! He made a full recovery, and is fat and happy now! And while he didn't like the handling, I firmly believe it helped him more than anything, because "if he was still fighting me-he was still fighting for his life", and that kept him lively enough to pull through. So, the point I am trying to make (in 100 words, or less) is: get him to the vet, as soon as you can!! Good luck!

If its One eye closed for few second,it could be irritated range from water spray into the eyes or dirt,if Both eyes are closed for a long period ,then it can range from infection to nutrition deficiency.

OK just left the vet...He's treating him for Ait A...via injection. Stated the oral route can take a while to take.Got the injection of But A D3 and E mixture, and wants me to bring him back again next Thursday for another shot...Also gave me eye drops Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution 3x daily for a week. He weighed in at a whopping 16 grams lol.

Last edited:
Alphakenc said..."Both eyes are closed for a long period ,then it can range from infection to nutrition deficiency"...both eyes don't have to be shut for it to be an infection..

Back
Top Bottom