Can't move the eye - old skin covering eyelid

bluemooon

I really need help
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther-Ambilobe, male, 3.5 months. How long has it been in your care - 1.5 month?
Handling - Not often, but in last 2 weeks I had to handle him to put saline and gentamycin drops in his eyes and he was stressed because of it
Feeding - Brown and black crickets,super worms, smal lateralis? 10-15 a day. Mostly in the morning, but super worms when I foud some that sheeded, because he want eat them if they are not white. I am giving apples and carrots to feeders.
Supplements - Since I am in Eastern Europe, I am giving him what I can find here - Pure kalcium carbonate dust for humans, Nekton, Sera Reptiminerals c http://www.sera.de/us/products/terra...mineral-c.html .Trayng to give pure calcium every day, with the rest I am mixing,few feeders 2 times a week.
Watering - Spraing and and rain drop bowl on the top? 5-6 times a day, 1-2 minutes.It is a small cage? Yes he is, poop is ok.
Fecal Description - Brown-white, sometimes have 20% of orange and 80% white. Parasites-No, I do not have possibility to do that.No reptile vets here
History - One sheedeng before, three weeks ago, it was a problem with the eye but different.Here is that thread Baby Panther eye infection-please help He just recovered, and now the new problem.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, image is attached. The door ant top are open, and two windows on sides. I have to say it in centimeters 45x50x45
Lighting - Reptile spot 45w, and Silvania uva,uvb 0,5% http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Prod...-Reptistar.htm Daily lighting schedule-12 hours
Temperature - From 70-86 Fahrenheit Lowest overnight temp - 68? Analog thermometars, but checked with digital too
Humidity - I am trying to keep it at least 50%, but have to spray offten to increase it. I am spraying every time the plant is dry,have water on the top of cage to drop like rain, in the last time I put at the bottom coconut supstrate covered with paper towels to try to increase it. What do you use to measure humidity-two analog hydrometars, checked wit digital too.
Plants - Are you using live plants-yes, Sheflera
Placement - No traffic,70 cm from the ground. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor - 120cm
Location - Eastern Europe - Serbia?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My 3,5 month old panther sheed fast, in one hour or two, but this time on his right eye skin remained, and there is some buldge on the left eye after sheeding. I am trying to drop some phisiological saline on his eye, but it's not helping.
I tried warm 15 min showers, but no improvement. He can't close eye, or move it around. Eyeball inside the eyelid is moving, looking healthy. I am putting some saline to hydrate the eye. The eyelid is rough if I touch it and look very dry. Like someone punched him in the eye, and the eye remained flat. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone had this problem?
Please, give me some advice.
II already have thread with images, but look worse now, more dry and darker.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/eyes-problem-after-sheeding-57218/

I really need help
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther-Ambilobe, male, 3.5 months. How long has it been in your care - 1.5 month?
Handling - Not often, but in last 2 weeks I had to handle him to put saline and gentamycin drops in his eyes and he was stressed because of it
Feeding - Brown and black crickets,super worms, smal lateralis? 10-15 a day. Mostly in the morning, but super worms when I foud some that sheeded, because he want eat them if they are not white. I am giving apples and carrots to feeders.
Supplements - Since I am in Eastern Europe, I am giving him what I can find here - Pure kalcium carbonate dust for humans, Nekton, Sera Reptiminerals c http://www.sera.de/us/products/terra...mineral-c.html .Trayng to give pure calcium every day, with the rest I am mixing,few feeders 2 times a week.
Watering - Spraing and and rain drop bowl on the top? 5-6 times a day, 1-2 minutes.It is a small cage? Yes he is, poop is ok.
Fecal Description - Brown-white, sometimes have 20% of orange and 80% white. Parasites-No, I do not have possibility to do that.No reptile vets here
History - One sheedeng before, three weeks ago, it was a problem with the eye but different.Here is that thread Baby Panther eye infection-please help He just recovered, and now the new problem.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, image is attached. The door ant top are open, and two windows on sides. I have to say it in centimeters 45x50x45
Lighting - Reptile spot 45w, and Silvania uva,uvb 0,5% http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Prod...-Reptistar.htm Daily lighting schedule-12 hours
Temperature - From 70-86 Fahrenheit Lowest overnight temp - 68? Analog thermometars, but checked with digital too
Humidity - I am trying to keep it at least 50%, but have to spray offten to increase it. I am spraying every time the plant is dry,have water on the top of cage to drop like rain, in the last time I put at the bottom coconut supstrate covered with paper towels to try to increase it. What do you use to measure humidity-two analog hydrometars, checked wit digital too.
Plants - Are you using live plants-yes, Sheflera
Placement - No traffic,70 cm from the ground. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor - 120cm
Location - Eastern Europe - Serbia?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My 3,5 month old panther sheed fast, in one hour or two, but this time on his right eye skin remained, and there is some buldge on the left eye after sheeding. I am trying to drop some phisiological saline on his eye, but it's not helping.
I tried warm 15 min showers, but no improvement. He can't close eye, or move it around. Eyeball inside the eyelid is moving, looking healthy. I am putting some saline to hydrate the eye. The eyelid is rough if I touch it and look very dry. Like someone punched him in the eye, and the eye remained flat. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone had this problem?
Please, give me some advice.
II already have thread with images, but look worse now, more dry and darker.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/eyes-problem-after-sheeding-57218/

The saline may be depositing salts on the skin and making it crusty and stiff. Use plain warmed water. Have you tried a wet Q tip (I'm not sure what you have there that is like a small stick with cotton wrapped around the tip) and rubbing it across the wet eyelid very gently? It might loosen the old skin and help him rub it off by himself. The lower humidity is probably the problem...making it harder for him to shed cleanly and causing the orange in his urate. The cage may be drying out faster than you realize after spraying so he ends up spending most of his time in a too dry situation. You may have to put something over more of the cage screen or increase the amount of live foliage to help hold more moisture.

You may be over supplementing him. Chams only need vitamins about once a month, calcium with vitamin D3 every other week, and plain calcium 2-3 times a week.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right about saline. I didn't think about it.
I tried with a Q tip, but that skin is almost hard like bark now. I have umbrella tree inside, and I put one hybiscus with a lot of leaves this week.
We have a very dry air here. In the house is only 20% humidity. I am spraying offten, soon as I see that plants are dry and humidity is betwen 40 - 60% except at night when I am not around him.
I will try to cover cage a little.
I ordered this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3355594 , but will be here in one week.
I am giving him only plain calcium now. I feel so lost with that vit-min schedule.
I have ordered also Rep-Cal products to follow instructions from this forum because in Europe are different suplements. I really want to help him and keep him healthy.

I tried with a Q tip, but that skin is almost hard like bark now.I will try to cover cage a little.
I ordered this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3355594 , but will be here in one week.
I am giving him only plain calcium now. I feel so lost with that vit-min schedule.
I have ordered also Rep-Cal products to follow instructions from this forum because in Europe are different suplements. I really want to help him and keep him healthy.

Can you get a room humidifier (vaporizer)? You could try setting one outside his cage and running it in cycles to help keep the room more humid.

The skin may take a while to soften because the layers have built up. I don't know what if any type of softening or lubricating solution to suggest for on the eye. Maybe some sort of antibiotic opthalmic ointment from a vet would be safe to try.

You are right again.I was thinking to get one for the room too. Would be good for us also.
I have eye gentamycin cream. It is the same like your terramycine.I will try tomorrow. It can't be bad to try. Thank you very much for help.

You are right again.I was thinking to get one for the room too. Would be good for us also.
I have eye gentamycin cream. It is the same like your terramycine.I will try tomorrow. It can't be bad to try. Thank you very much for help.

It may take several tries with gentle rubbing with the Q tip to work. At least the gentamycin won't hurt the eye itself.

I have had this same problem for some time now and after vet visits and ointments nothing really worked too well. I had found it was good to let his eye dry up a little and hold back full body mists for a few days. This allowed the skin in the eye to turn more into a solid bogger that could be picked out. The Q tips are not very good for getting anything out of the eye. It just smooshish and smashes their eye around. I found if you roll up a small piece of paper and are very very careful I scooped out some huge skin booger chunks out of his eyes. This was my experience, I dont know if it helps. He is almost fully eye booger free after months of eye problems and vet visits.

Back
Top Bottom