Can't get my Veiled Chameleon off locusts and onto crickets!!

Rango black

I always see on this from more experienced owners that crickets are much better food for chameleons but I can't get mines to eat crickets, he actually looks scared of them, but he will snap up locusts no bother. Is this a problem?

I always see on this from more experienced owners that crickets are much better food for chameleons but I can't get mines to eat crickets, he actually looks scared of them, but he will snap up locusts no bother. Is this a problem?
What species of cricket are you using? If they are the commonly known black cricket, they tend not the move much. And that lack of activity in turn does'nt get the chameleons attention. Where as a more active insect will trigger the chameleons feeding reponse.

Also, what do you feed the crickets? before feeding to the chameleon.

It was black crickets I have been trying to give him so that might be why, I vary what I give the locusts and crickets, black berrys, cucumber, apple, carrot. There has been times the cricket has been crawling up a branch and my chameleon has moved to get away from it looking quite scared.

It was black crickets I have been trying to give him so that might be why, I vary what I give the locusts and crickets, black berrys, cucumber, apple, carrot. There has been times the cricket has been crawling up a branch and my chameleon has moved to get away from it looking quite scared.
Just as I thought. You might want to place the black cricket in a smooth bowl, to encourage the cricket to keep moving to get a foot hold. And this should get the chameleons attention. Or a good dusting of calcium will sometimes get the cricket moving as crickets tries to remove powder from face area, eyes, mouth, etc..

Back
Top Bottom