Can you turn a bird cage into a chameleon cage

Yes, I have a smaller bird cage like 18" cube as a temporary cage when cleaning up the normal cage. You would just have to line it with smaller screening. It might be a pain (well if its a huge bird cage) to keep the humidity and temp were you want it unless the room is pretty much the right temp and humidity.

I think that would be too much time consuming work to make it cricket safe...
Cup feeding isn't too time consuming, it's stuff on the outside (flies, etc.) that you should be worried about. If something flies by, the chameleon may try to eat it and hurt itself on one of the bars.

It's a bird cage for a reason. ;)

I have an old bird cage and want to know if i turn it into a cham cage.

Yes you can. But you may want to cup feed your feeders so they will not escape and if you don't want any flies or other insects flying in you will have to screen the sides and top of the cage.... ;)

Yes you can. But you may want to cup feed your feeders so they will not escape and if you don't want any flies or other insects flying in you will have to screen the sides and top of the cage.... ;)

what kind of screen would you recommend.

I used a big bird cage for a couple years with my first chameleon. It was good. I had no concerns about bugs flying into the cage (the cage was inside my house, so its not like there were a lot of things buzzing around). True you cant free-range all food. I didnt see that as a downside. I cup fed most fast moving bugs, which meant they stayed gutloaded better since food was in the cup for the bugs. Superworms and silkworms and cabbage loopers were put onto branches. with Some grasshoppers and crickets I removed the hind jumping legs then would let one free on a branch to run, and it would be eaten up quickly before it could escape. Not much between lights and the chameleon, which is good for the UVB tube but you have to be careful about the heat lamp. it was easy to clean.
If you have low humidity where you live, a more solid walled enclosure might be better. If you have relatively high humidity, a wire cage is a good call. If its cold where you live, a more solid sided enclosure would retain heat better.

I’m thinking of using a 2 foot by 3 foot bird cage but I live near Liverpool in the uk so it’s rather cold I was thinking of putting plastic wire mesh on the outside and a higher watt edge heat bulb in. Would this work ?

I’m thinking of using a 2 foot by 3 foot bird cage but I live near Liverpool in the uk so it’s rather cold I was thinking of putting plastic wire mesh on the outside and a higher watt edge heat bulb in. Would this work ?
This thread is 8 years old, start your own. What species and gender of cham do you have?

the last post was 2010, you can create your own thread by going to general discussion and hitting the button that says post new thread or something like that and post your own

I have a male panther chameleon around 6 m/o and I’m trying to work out how to start a new thread at the mo. I’m unable to find new thread
Go to forums, choose your topic, and there should be a new thread button above the started threads. For a male panther, you'll want a cage a minimum of 4 ft tall

Back
Top Bottom