Can you get sick from Cham?

It is possible to get salmonella from reptiles. As above wash your hands after handling or cleaning their cages.
Their parasites are not commonly zoonotic (contagious to humans).
Sushi is an excellent way to get intestinal parasites. Usually they are temporary but they are always gross.

I use yellow rubber cleaning gloves when I clean / feed / handle all of my feeder bugs and when I clean my cage, and i wash the gloves with hot hot water and soap and then also clean my hands after i take off the gloves lol. I hate the idea of bug gunk all over my hands. Makes me squirmy even thinking about it!

Oh that's terrible.
I had giardia once I got when my water filter failed when I was back packing. It was awful. The Flagyl I had to take to get rid of it was bad also.
I hope your doctor can nail this thing down and get you feeling better fast.
Note: the parasites from sushi I was talking about show up as worms in your stool.

Oh that's terrible.
I had giardia once I got when my water filter failed when I was back packing. It was awful. The Flagyl I had to take to get rid of it was bad also.
I hope your doctor can nail this thing down and get you feeling better fast.
Note: the parasites from sushi I was talking about show up as worms in your stool.
They think it’s giardia but I just don’t understand how it could last for 3+ months

They think it’s giardia but I just don’t understand how it could last for 3+ months
My bf for sick after a trip to Mexico, he was sick for at least 2 months and couldnt eat or drink anything that whole time. By the time he got in to the doctors and they did tests on him they didnt show any parasites or anything. However they did start him on an anti parasitic and once he finished that he was fine. If you havent been treating it at all it can last for awhile.

I doubt this helps but I know how you feel.
It won't go away on it's own usually. have you been on meds for giardiasis very long? It seems like I was on them for a while and it was like having morning sickness at the same time after every dose. It was years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details.

I forgot to answer your question. Reptiles can have giarrdia, so can cats and dogs and rivers and streams.
I would have to look up if they are all the same kind and infectious to both reptiles and mammals.
You can get your chameleon tested with a fecal. It should be very fresh when you take it to the vet.
Giardia outside of the body is pretty easy to kill with bleach. It is treated with Flagyl or metronidazole medically.

My bf for sick after a trip to Mexico, he was sick for at least 2 months and couldnt eat or drink anything that whole time. By the time he got in to the doctors and they did tests on him they didnt show any parasites or anything. However they did start him on an anti parasitic and once he finished that he was fine. If you havent been treating it at all it can last for awhile.
Did it affect his eyes?

Back
Top Bottom