Can you feed too much fruit/veg ?

Vic

I normaly feed around 6 XL locust per day my cham is now 12 months and will eat anything!! so every day i fill a bowl up with either fruit or veg maybe 6 small cubes of apple, pear, melon, bannana carrot ect he does most days finish what i put in depending on if it's a favorite or not. should i feed this much veg? or should i give him more bugs or is he just being a pig!:)

honestly i'm not sure, only that insects should remain the main staple. 6 small chunks doesn't sound much to me, but to a chameleon who knows. I don't feed my veiled fruit and veg everyday, more like 3-4 times a week.

Are you talking about a veiled?
If so, I would say yes. The value of their ability to eat greens is really exaggerated. In nature it is a great way to get more moisture into your system, but I highly doubt the greens/fruits are having any major nutritional benefit. I honestly believe that they could even get problems consuming too much fruits, the sugar is not something they are obviously capable of processing and it could have an effect on their organs, like liver and kidneys.

ALL variation is good and the right way to fight deficiency diseases, but it should be in reasonable quantity. I make sure the majority of the nutritional variety is in the gutload, a small slice of fruit now and then. The greens is not a essential part of their diet.

Back
Top Bottom