Can they really get used to you?

elesdee

I know chameleons are pretty antisocial by nature but I was wondering can they actually get used to an individual? He(Fred) y'know sees me every day and I try to take him out probably every couple to every other day for at least a few minutes and let him crawl around on my hand. He seems to like it when I rub underneath his chin with the top of my finger nail, he'll just kind of sit there and tilt his head up.

It just seems that some days he's perfectly fine and others a little more finicky. Is that just him by nature, being kind of temperamental?

I was also wondering what would make a cham sleep in the same spot every night? Mine used to sleep in pretty random spots around his cage but the past half a week or so he's been in the same spot every night at bed time. Just thought the change of sleeping spot was a little strange.

All of mine all have their one sleeping spot that they head to every evening as they settle down for the night. It's actually weird to me when they are not in their spot!

Well that's good to know then. I guess he just finally found a good enough spot to settle in to regularly.

I really do think they get used to you and recognize you. Don't know if they just recognize exactly how you care for them or your smell or what? But this past week I went on vacation so azula stayed at my mother in laws and they said she was always dark and didn't drink very well and was always hiding and the minute I took her back home she turned her bright green again and drank a ton and ate like crazy! Then for the next few days she was unusually perky around me. So I really do think she missed me ( or just how often I took care of her compared to my mom inlaw). The connection I have with my chameleon is. Strong and awesome, though it may not be as cuddly or kissy as I would like... its still a connection I think she is aware of too :)..... there's my long heartfelt speech about how much I missed my Cham and vice versa haha :D

That's good to know then! I try not to hold him too much 'cause I don't wanna stress him out, but I want him to be familiar. I would eventually like to just be able to hold him from time to time once he's older without him gettin overly angry or biting me or something. Had a cham in the past that was super angry all the time always hissed, but he was quite a bit older thant he one I have now so I'm hoping acclimating my cham while he's young will help. He let's me hand feed him worms if he's hungry which is always cool to watch.

I have a couple of chams who behave totally different when I leave town for a week. My husband knows how to care for them, and they see him on weekends, but they are just different when i am not here. i am with you.:)

I really do think they get used to you and recognize you. Don't know if they just recognize exactly how you care for them or your smell or what? But this past week I went on vacation so azula stayed at my mother in laws and they said she was always dark and didn't drink very well and was always hiding and the minute I took her back home she turned her bright green again and drank a ton and ate like crazy! Then for the next few days she was unusually perky around me. So I really do think she missed me ( or just how often I took care of her compared to my mom inlaw). The connection I have with my chameleon is. Strong and awesome, though it may not be as cuddly or kissy as I would like... its still a connection I think she is aware of too :)..... there's my long heartfelt speech about how much I missed my Cham and vice versa haha :D

The first week my chameleon slept in different spots but now I know exactly where he sleeps every night. He has the same exact spot and gets settled in about an hour to 30 minutes before lights go off. He is still not 100% happy to see me but he doesn't mind when I walk by anymore. It use to be that the sight of me would make him want to kill himself but now he just carries on with his business. I love him! I say it all the time, he is the MAN!

Yeah that's how it was when I first brought my cham home, different spots around the cage every night. The past 4 or 5 days or so she starts to get settled in the new spot at about the same time frame as yours sensation, about half an hour or so before it's bed time. I call my cham a champion all the time :) I'm totally obsessed I can sit around and watch her all day.

:) I'm totally obsessed I can sit around and watch her all day.

I know what you mean. He doesn't do much but he is so interesting! He can be hanging from the screen and I think its the coolest thing in the world. Even him hating the sight of me is the coolest thing!

Back
Top Bottom