Can someone answer our debate, male or female??

Ambird

FF8EF3FF-3F5A-403F-B160-C20AC2CF1636.jpeg
FFB737DA-2BB9-4A5F-9FC3-707C00DF3F05.jpeg
F3521187-6BF4-43FE-B7F0-E9B26159155C.jpeg
Hi there! My husband and I are new to chameleons. I work for a pet store and there was a particular panther chameleon that was outgrowing his itty-bitty habitat. I decided that he needs to come home and have a better life! We don’t know very much on chameleons, but we are very experienced with I’ll sorts of animals and I am trying to research my butt off to gain knowledge. I don’t know the exact age of our little guy. He was there when I started in August and was not very big at all. Now he is probably about 6 inches long, excluding the tale. I think he is a mail because from my understanding, he has a little bulge under his tail. When he stretches out though, it’s not so noticeable. Just found a couple of pictures that I have, can anybody give me some information on him/her??

View attachment 218335 View attachment 218333 View attachment 218334 Hi there! My husband and I are new to chameleons. I work for a pet store and there was a particular panther chameleon that was outgrowing his itty-bitty habitat. I decided that he needs to come home and have a better life! We don’t know very much on chameleons, but we are very experienced with I’ll sorts of animals and I am trying to research my butt off to gain knowledge. I don’t know the exact age of our little guy. He was there when I started in August and was not very big at all. Now he is probably about 6 inches long, excluding the tale. I think he is a mail because from my understanding, he has a little bulge under his tail. When he stretches out though, it’s not so noticeable. Just found a couple of pictures that I have, can anybody give me some information on him/her??
Definitely female, could you fill out the ask for help form linked in my signature below, please? Do you have a lay bin?

Woo hoo! Thank you! Now we can settle on a name. No, we don’t! Is that a must for her? I’ve ordered some books, but they won’t be here for a bit.

Definitely female, could you fill out the ask for help form linked in my signature below, please? Do you have a lay bin?

Woo hoo! Thank you! Now we can settle on a name. No, we don’t! Is that a must for her? I’ve ordered some books, but they won’t be here for a bit.

If you haven't, please read the caresheets on this forum. For ease, you can click the red clicky in my signature.

Could you post a pic of her enclosure, as well, please?

I have included a tall bin and hoping it will be ok until I can make it to the big town near me. There’s a specialty store where I will get anything else I may need. She has a water fountain, a large branch, smaller vines, and a UVB and heat bulbs.

Attachments

• EA0EA87A-B9D4-4CBE-9112-8F93E4FB3D46.jpeg
    EA0EA87A-B9D4-4CBE-9112-8F93E4FB3D46.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 139
  • B6167CF2-7DCB-406F-91CB-49E30E722C61.jpeg
    B6167CF2-7DCB-406F-91CB-49E30E722C61.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 118
You need more branches and vines throughout the cage. Waterfalls are a breeding ground for bacteria, take it out (the one you have doesn’t have the correct type of filtration). Could you fill out this form, please?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You need more branches and vines throughout the cage. Waterfalls are a breeding ground for bacteria, take it out (the one you have doesn’t have the correct type of filtration). Could you fill out this form, please?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Panther Chameleon, maybe 4 months, been in my care a week.
  • Handling - Never
  • Feeding - Super worms, crickets, meal worms, and giving them fruits and cricket food.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium without D3 dusted on crickets daily. Reptivite daily on crickets, for now.
  • Watering - Water drip fountain, mist 4x a day.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown and dry with white on the end.
  • History - She was very small when I met her, in the store I work at. She was in a tank smaller than a 5 gallon until I brought her home.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage
  • Lighting - Blue UVB light and heat light.
  • Temperature - basking is around 87-84 and bottom is 73. I have a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - Unknown. Getting a gauge Saturday. I keep her floor moist, but not “wet”.
  • Plants - No living plants.
  • Placement - Cage is in one of my living rooms on a table. No fans or drafts. We keep the heater on to keep it around 77 in the room.
  • Location - Northern California

I’ll be going to a specialty store this weekend to get help from them on better products. Suggestions are welcome as to what I should ask for, add, or change. She’s seemingly very happy compared to what she was living in.

get rid of the waterfall its a breeding ground for bacteria, blue is no good for light it might hurt your chams eyes

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Panther Chameleon, maybe 4 months, been in my care a week.
  • Handling - Never
  • Feeding - Super worms, crickets, meal worms, and giving them fruits and cricket food.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium without D3 dusted on crickets daily. Reptivite daily on crickets, for now.
  • Watering - Water drip fountain, mist 4x a day.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown and dry with white on the end.
  • History - She was very small when I met her, in the store I work at. She was in a tank smaller than a 5 gallon until I brought her home.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage
  • Lighting - Blue UVB light and heat light.
  • Temperature - basking is around 87-84 and bottom is 73. I have a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - Unknown. Getting a gauge Saturday. I keep her floor moist, but not “wet”.
  • Plants - No living plants.
  • Placement - Cage is in one of my living rooms on a table. No fans or drafts. We keep the heater on to keep it around 77 in the room.
  • Location - Northern California

I’ll be going to a specialty store this weekend to get help from them on better products. Suggestions are welcome as to what I should ask for, add, or change. She’s seemingly very happy compared to what she was living in.
Mealworms shouldn’t be fed. Don’t use superworms as a staple. Add in more variety, like silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies and spikes, and roaches (red runner, dubia, orange headed, and ivory headed cannot climb or fly), to name a few. What is the exact gutload? There are many ways to supplement:
1-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding and a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) every two weeks
2-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 every two weeks
3-an all in one supplement every feeding (like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor- gutload feeders the night before with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall if using Minerall- or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD)
4-Arcadia supplements using the Arcadia insectivore supplement schedule off of their website
Every feeder should be lightly, but completely, dusted right before feeding. How long is each misting? It should be a minimum of 2 minutes long, but preferably 5, each time. What size is the cage? Get rid of the blue light and use a regular white light heat bulb instead (a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store is cheaper and lasts longer than a reptile basking bulb). Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture to replace the compact coil uvb. Use either a Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6% (preferred) linear bulb for the light. Basking should be 82*F. What do mean keep her floor moist? Humidity should be between 50-70% during the day and up to 100% at night.

Mealworms shouldn’t be fed. Don’t use superworms as a staple. Add in more variety, like silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies and spikes, and roaches (red runner, dubia, orange headed, and ivory headed cannot climb or fly), to name a few. What is the exact gutload? There are many ways to supplement:
1-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding and a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) every two weeks
2-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 every two weeks
3-an all in one supplement every feeding (like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor- gutload feeders the night before with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall if using Minerall- or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD)
4-Arcadia supplements using the Arcadia insectivore supplement schedule off of their website
Every feeder should be lightly, but completely, dusted right before feeding. How long is each misting? It should be a minimum of 2 minutes long, but preferably 5, each time. What size is the cage? Get rid of the blue light and use a regular white light heat bulb instead (a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store is cheaper and lasts longer than a reptile basking bulb). Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture to replace the compact coil uvb. Use either a Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6% (preferred) linear bulb for the light. Basking should be 82*F. What do mean keep her floor moist? Humidity should be between 50-70% during the day and up to 100% at night.

We have coconut bark on the bottom. I make sure to spray that, also. Until I get the gauge, I’m hoping it will keep more moisture in the air until I know the humidity. We mist around 2 minutes, easily. The bulbs are the zoo med ones. I’ll get something to replace the blue bulb at the Serpitarium when we go. The super worms aren’t often. Maybe twice since we got her. There IS a store that has a better variety of food for her, but they are waiting on a shipment of live. Is dried ok? I like the idea of a 3-in-1!

Back
Top Bottom