Can Panther cameleons and Yemen Camelons mate?

If by chance you would let them, which is bad by the way, they wouldn't produce eggs. Panther= Furcifer Yemen= Chamaeleo

N-O! THis should maybe just be posted at the top of the Forum home page. As I always say-it is like canaries and parakeets. It just won't happen. There are people out there that try this-are these same people that try this also trying to breed dogs and cats? Hamsters and Gerbils? People and Apes?
You can put them together-they may do the act, and it may prompt the female to lay eggs, but nothing after that happens.

The reason it wont work is because when you breed them 1/2 the genes come from the male 1/2 from the female. And they all have to match up correctly to work. The Furcifer / Chameleo has nothing to do with it really because that is their genus. The species need to be the same usually for it to work. A carpet (furcifer lateralis) cant breed with a panther (furcifer pardalis). There are a few exceptions to that though and I'm not sure if it would work with chameleons, but if they were to breed and produce babies they would be infertile (similar to a mule).

That should not happen. You should not muddy the pure bred traits of a particular species. It will ultimately make it harder to identity a true pure bred animal if crosses are being thrown around a large gene pool, especially since they get traded and float around as much as they do as on the forums. There is enough debate as mixing locals of panthers together, we should not mix species together. All the positives and negatives of panthers and veileds would be too convoluted to identity specific genetic background. Imagine having to deal with temperamental panthers because the veiled genetic background for volatile veileds was mixed in and bred across other panthers because someone didn't know it was originally crossed with a veiled after many generations. The end all is; if you respect this species and care for it's future identity, do not meddle with it like you're god. Please just leave it as it is.

Not sure if I know anyone who has become a millionaire solely off selling chameleon crosses. :eek:

lol breeding humans and apes....now thats ritch! ROFL!....now making a documentry on that ....lord....

Back
Top Bottom