Can I use this tank?

Mortyrose

Hello all,
I have never owned a chameleon but am no novice to reptiles. I currently have a leopard gecko, crested gecko, and jeweled lacerta amongst other things.

Recently, my 13 year old leopard gecko passed away. She was in a custom built cabinet my father made for me. (Image attached) My question is, can I house a chameleon in this tank? Obviously I would completely change the interior decorations and plan to include live plants, and make it similar to my created tank. (Attached)

The hanging light actually recesses into the top of the cabinet, you can see the opening through the top, but the tank was so tall I needed to lower it for my leo to get the right heating. There is another panel I can open on the top for ventilation, and currently the doors are lexan, but I have screen ones I can put in, i just dont really like the look of them. The sides and bottom are all covered in tile for easy cleaning. I know the tank is wider then it is tall, which might be an issue, but the dimensions are 38 inches across, 18 inches deep, 32 inches tall. Most of the chameleon tanks available here are 24-30 inches tall, so I hope that's okay.

I just want to make sure this would be a good tank for a chameleon before I dump a bunch of money into it just for it to be wrong. If it wont work, I'll keep researching for a lizard that will be happy in it.

Thanks.
20180908_195629.jpg
20180908_204625.jpg
20180908_195629.jpg 20180908_204625.jpg

If you go with glass you need a vent in the lower end of the enclosure, this will create a chimney effect which you'll need to provide sufficient airflow.

If you go with glass you need a vent in the lower end of the enclosure, this will create a chimney effect which you'll need to provide sufficient airflow.
If I put in the screen doors, can I avoid that? I'm kind of leaning towards that anyway.

Also, if the front is all screen, how do I keep humidity and water in general inside the enclosure? I've been looking at misting systems and foggers today. I was learning towards a fogger and drip system, but it seems like most people recommend a mister. How do I make sure I don't just end up with water everywhere?

If I put in the screen doors, can I avoid that? I'm kind of leaning towards that anyway.

Also, if the front is all screen, how do I keep humidity and water in general inside the enclosure? I've been looking at misting systems and foggers today. I was learning towards a fogger and drip system, but it seems like most people recommend a mister. How do I make sure I don't just end up with water everywhere?
You can place the nozzles towards the back.

How do I locate a breeder? I live in rural Minnesota so reptile availability, and the climate aren't exactly great for chameleons.
You can purchase a chameleon online, see if there is a local breeder in Minnesota, etc. If you purchase online, make sure you do so from a reputable breeder, and do it during good weather.

Okay. After some digging, I think there are 2 places about 1-2 hours away that could work. Is it okay for the animal to be in a box that long? I mean obviously they ship then so yes, but what could I doto make it less traumatic?

Okay. After some digging, I think there are 2 places about 1-2 hours away that could work. Is it okay for the animal to be in a box that long? I mean obviously they ship then so yes, but what could I doto make it less traumatic?
Once you order a chameleon and it comes in the mail the next day after shipping (overnight), don't handle the chameleon, and let it adjust to its new enclosure, without bothering it for a week or more. Then when the chameleon is adjusted, you can attempt handling him/her, or even hand feeding.

Make sure your enclosure is set up right before ordering, and make sure you are well equipped with insects and necessary supplies, as you are in a rural area.

Back
Top Bottom