Can I Gain My Veiled's Trust Back?

lduceman

I've had chameleons before in the past, (veileds) and none of them have seemed to react the way my new guy has been. Whenever I would spray their cages, they'd be completely fine with it, even if I happened to accidentally spray them directly, or even if it was room temperature water. Now with my new guy, I might've accidentally sprayed him a few times, and he would cringe and flinch (as expected). But now, even when I go to spray his cage (being very careful) he gets very defensive and puffs out like crazy. Even if I go near the cage with the spray bottle, he'll get up on his hind legs with his arms up, as if he was in a karate position! :confused: Once in a while, he'll even gape his mouth at me, or snap. It's as if he doesn't trust me anymore. :( Is there anything I can do to help him feel more comfortable?

-EDIT-
I'm not quite sure of his age, he is about 8.5 inches long from nose to end of tail. I've had him for about 3 months now, and I rarely touch or handle him; only if necessary. I regularly feed him, dusting, gut-loading crickets, etc. His cage is a complete wire one for easy climbing, and no glass for easy ventilation and no reflections. I believe it's 65 gallons, and I have it standing tall-ways. All the necessary light fixtures, day bulb, ceramic bulb, (for night time, since it gets cold here) UVB, etc. However, his cage isn't completely flourished with plants, decor, and accessories. I haven't been able to get many decorations for him to hide. So I'm not sure if that could be it either. I figured I would get a lot more at the next reptile expo in my area. (Dec. 4)

hold him for some odd amounts of time. his is one thing most people dont know. when a chameleon is young its mentally vulnerable. what you need to do is in a relaxed environment , hold the chameleon for a good hour. do this every so often, companion-ship-ing the animal. try hand feeding, become the hand that feeds him! hold him and feed him! i had a veiled that hated me and everything! she got mad and opened her mouth, i threw a cricket in it! eventually i found free range is very hands on and care free! she began to love me and follow me which ever way i walked past her wall cage. shed cling right on and shed be on me for hours. id wake up and she would be laying on the bottom most branch staring me eye to eye. had she been human i would have paniced lol

I wouldent handle your chameleon for a hour thats bad. Chameleons are display animals and arent for handling. A majority of them dont like to be handled id say most. Just get a dripper and who cares spray around his cage on the plants hell stop puffing as long as you dont spray him agin.

Need

I would do as above and hand feed, plus is the mist a very fine or is it more of a spray, my little one hates the water also but I hand feed at least once a day.

I would do as above and hand feed, plus is the mist a very fine or is it more of a spray, my little one hates the water also but I hand feed at least once a day.

It's more of a spray, considering that it's a cheap $1 spray bottle. Also, I'm starting to think that the water might be too cold. Is there some sort of automatic spray bottle (or any other product) that makes the water warm? I just don't like preheating the water just because it's such an inconvenience.

Preheating...

It's more of a spray, considering that it's a cheap $1 spray bottle. Also, I'm starting to think that the water might be too cold. Is there some sort of automatic spray bottle (or any other product) that makes the water warm? I just don't like preheating the water just because it's such an inconvenience.

It may be inconvenient but also may be necessary, I spray both of my boys with warm water... even if you run rather hot water it the bottle it mists out luke warm... of course they may not appreciate being sprayed with cold water... and although it takes a bit more time to use warmed water it really is only a fraction more time; less than a minute. And well worth it IMO.

Hand feeding can help to establish a sort of trust... as they relate you to something positive... "feeding".... good luck :eek:

You can definitely try holding him, although I would try free ranging better. Something like putting a small plant on your desk and letting him hang out with you while you work or something. It lets them be with you, without being on you, which is less stressful. It's worked to de-sensitize a couple of mine to me. An if he seems ok with being on your hand, slowly increase the time he's out on your hand. This, along with hand feeding, will do a lot to help "tame" your chameleon, or at the very least make him less aggressive towards you.

However, that said, it's not always going to work. Some chameleons just have that personality and regardless of what you do they are just never going to trust you enough to be comfortable on your hand. And you have to read your cham and respect the signals he sends you.

Something you could do would be to get a bucket, keep it full of water, and get an aquarium heater to sit in it permanently. This way the water is warm and you can just scoop up warm water with the mister/sprayer and be ready to go! For a 5gal bucket I would get a heater for a 10+ gallon tank, to get the water hot enough to where it comes out warm. Otherwise, it'll come out cool.

You can definitely try holding him, although I would try free ranging better. Something like putting a small plant on your desk and letting him hang out with you while you work or something. It lets them be with you, without being on you, which is less stressful. It's worked to de-sensitize a couple of mine to me. An if he seems ok with being on your hand, slowly increase the time he's out on your hand. This, along with hand feeding, will do a lot to help "tame" your chameleon, or at the very least make him less aggressive towards you.

However, that said, it's not always going to work. Some chameleons just have that personality and regardless of what you do they are just never going to trust you enough to be comfortable on your hand. And you have to read your cham and respect the signals he sends you.

Something you could do would be to get a bucket, keep it full of water, and get an aquarium heater to sit in it permanently. This way the water is warm and you can just scoop up warm water with the mister/sprayer and be ready to go! For a 5gal bucket I would get a heater for a 10+ gallon tank, to get the water hot enough to where it comes out warm. Otherwise, it'll come out cool.

I'll definitely try that soon. I would've never thought of just having him there, in my presence.
It seems like that's my only choice since he backs away when I put me hand near him. :(
I also would've never thought of the water heater idea. Thanks a ton!

Is misting on him directly not recommended? I always hold my mist bottle right on him, of course from further away and he seems ok with it? I wasnt aware that this might be bad for him???

Any tips on how to start a cham hand feeding? Should I not give him food for a day so he's hungry and then try?

No not necessarily...

Is misting on him directly not recommended? I always hold my mist bottle right on him, of course from further away and he seems ok with it? I wasnt aware that this might be bad for him???

It depends on the Cham some enjoy being misted and others do not... so if you have one that hates it of course you would not want to subject him to direct spray and instead spray around or indirectly... however as with my boys they both enjoy it and it can be good for them as it allows them to clean their eyes ect. :D

I think it's really good to squirt water directly on your cham..I do with mine and they just hang out and soak up the water. I use a hand held plant sprayer bottle... However, I don't spray them or mist them..I kinda lightly squirt them so that it mimics water droplets like raining. I think it's more natural..they don't get sprayed in the wild..they get rained on. Mine drink right from the water bottle..they love it! :)

It depends on the Cham some enjoy being misted and others do not... so if you have one that hates it of course you would not want to subject him to direct spray and instead spray around or indirectly... however as with my boys they both enjoy it and it can be good for them as it allows them to clean their eyes ect. :D

Oh okay thanks Gensen...he doesnt mind it and many times he actually looks like he is enjoying his little shower :D

@ Jaxygirl...we use a plant mister that works with air pressure, the mist is very fine and can be adjusted. many times i also spray the top of the cage and the water drops gett collected on the mesh and then drip down on him.

Back
Top Bottom