Can he eat this?

CharlieCharmingo

Avid Member
Call me dumb but is this okay? I'm not sure if it is a moth or a butterfly. I know the latter is a big no. I had to stop him from eatting it because I wasn't sure. The crazy guy. When I went to shoo it away Tony actually sped up and tried to shoot at it before I got to it. It was like briefly playing a game of steal the bait, however I felt extremely guilty and caught him a nice fly to make it up to him haha. I guess the trust is real betwixt us lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 240
P.s. That is his handsome silhouette in the background of the second photo.
hmm if you aren't sure if you can give it to him I would not recommend it. it probably won't kill him if you aren't supposed to but I would be safe and maybe not. although it is good to mix up their diets I wouldn't recommend feeding him an unknown bug. hope this helps!

Although I don't think giving a wild caught bug is going to harm your chameleon once in a while, I'd want to be sure that the food the insect is eating wouldn't be harmful. (For example, horn worms that eat tomato plants)

A vet told me once that the benefits of feeding wild caught insects far out way the dangers of parasites. That being said I would do a fecal every 6 months if you do feed wild insects. Of course I do that anyway.

Yea I'm starting to hear that too about wild caught vs. parasites. I get a fecal done every couple of months too, but I guess I'm just a little nervous about letting him free catch lol .

Although I don't think giving a wild caught bug is going to harm your chameleon once in a while, I'd want to be sure that the food the insect is eating wouldn't be harmful. (For example, horn worms that eat tomato plants)

Right, I understand that. But I was thinking, suppose I catch the bugs first and maybe put them through a 24 hour detox before gut loading them correctly then giving them to the boy? That way if there was something in their system that could harm Tony I would potentially have "cleaned" it out?

If you are letting him outside he is probably going to eat a wild bug.

Yea I do let him outside, especially now in the dead of summer. I mean I let him catch wild bugs sometimes, but I always feel middle of the fence about it and it's usually bugs I'm familiar with.

Hello! She can eat this bug? Is called Pyrrhocoris apterus .

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 64
  • P_apterus_2.jpg
    P_apterus_2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 87
Right, I understand that. But I was thinking, suppose I catch the bugs first and maybe put them through a 24 hour detox before gut loading them correctly then giving them to the boy? That way if there was something in their system that could harm Tony I would potentially have "cleaned" it out?

That completely defeats the purpose and benefit of feeding wild bugs to your cham

The moth-butterfly thing you pictured above is actually called a skipper, and it is in the super family that is only butterflies. I can't say if they are a safe butterfly or not sadly. I would never feed a wildcaught fly (depending on the species of fly) to a cham. Most flies are not safe.

The moth-butterfly thing you pictured above is actually called a skipper, and it is in the super family that is only butterflies. I can't say if they are a safe butterfly or not sadly. I would never feed a wildcaught fly (depending on the species of fly) to a cham. Most flies are not safe.

A skipper you say? Very interesting I didn't know that. Being as this post is a little old I should say that I believe I let him eat one (couldn't stop him in time) and nothing happened. However I felt uneasy about the experience. Still something tells me I looked it up and it was an okay bug for them to eat as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom