Can Dubia Roaches Infest?

johncjb

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there has been infested with roaches after trying to breed them.

Also, is it alright to feed my cham cockroaches i find in the garage?

I live in the UK so no we won't get infested with then which is good! They generally breed between 24-32 degrees, lower temp being very slow breeding

As for ones you find I would say no as they could have parasites or any other nasties

Dubias aren't really an infesting type of cockroach. As already mentioned they need warmer temps to breed or grow. I kept mine cool all winter and they didn't grow, breed, or eat much. But they didn't die off. I imagine if a pregnant female got loose in the house you could get a colony going loose in the house. On the bright side they don't climb and would be easy to kill off on the off chance that happened.

As far as German cockroaches, they are fast, breed fast, difficult to catch and do great in most all climates. Thus the infestations. They would make a decent feeder if you had a clean captive colony but they eat stuff that would make a dung beetle queasy, you don't really want that in your Cham. Not to mention the high risk of parasites, bacteria, etc that comes from their habitat (garbage and filth). I wouldn't try to breed them either, they can escape from all but the most secure vaults and will infest... They really are impressive though.

One thing I did read about the Dubai is that if they do get out the could make their way to your fridge and hide under it which would be worm enough. Dubais are pretty slow at growing though so I don't think there would be any problem. It would take months for a pregnant female to give birth and for the babies to grow. My colony has been going for about 4-5 months and I still don't have anything of a decent size to feed to my dragons yet.

Something like the red runner are more of a problem as they can breed at room temp and grow super fast. A guy posted something about them saying he had a colony of 1000 and within a year he had near 10,000

I would suggest not to do that. You never know what they have gotten into as it may have been pesticides or other harmful chemicals.

I had a female escape that I was unaware of. We needed a new fridge because ours was leaking and overheating. I was horrified when the grudge was pulled out and Dubia Mom and her new babies scattered. My husband flipped.

We got them all, and haven't had a problem. Every once in awhile I'll find a stray dubia, but I'm not sure if they are survivors from that incident or new escapees from an enclosure. But it's definitely not an infestation, and I certainly find stray crickets more often.

I have learned my lesson....only feed the males to your chameleons, and you won't have a reproduction issue if one does escape.

Dubias aren't really an infesting type of cockroach. As already mentioned they need warmer temps to breed or grow. I kept mine cool all winter and they didn't grow, breed, or eat much. But they didn't die off. I imagine if a pregnant female got loose in the house you could get a colony going loose in the house. On the bright side they don't climb and would be easy to kill off on the off chance that happened.

As far as German cockroaches, they are fast, breed fast, difficult to catch and do great in most all climates. Thus the infestations. They would make a decent feeder if you had a clean captive colony but they eat stuff that would make a dung beetle queasy, you don't really want that in your Cham. Not to mention the high risk of parasites, bacteria, etc that comes from their habitat (garbage and filth). I wouldn't try to breed them either, they can escape from all but the most secure vaults and will infest... They really are impressive though.

could not have said it better

Yes, if your house is heated for you comfort, then your dubia can live there comfortably also. But they aren't going to infest like german roaches (the ones most likely in your garage)
people spray insecticides etc to rid themselves of cockroaches, and what they can eat can be found in nasty places like sewers, so I would avoid using the ones in your garage.

Back
Top Bottom