Camiezone babies from Homer and Big Girl

bart is so cute. Im happy to hear he gained alot in this last growth spurt, so he can keep up w his giant siblings, lol.

hes looking very lean, id be happy so send you a few hoppers for him, if youd like, lol
I’m still feeding him daily & upwards of 8+ feeders. Today he got about 9 plus I don’t even know how many pupated bsfl I released into his enclosure. His casque is close to showing he’s overweight. I think he just looks thin because he was all stretched out and moving towards the camera. It is crazy hard to get pics of him as he’s so active. This pic (another action shot) is from Monday. Do you think he looks too thin in that one too?
IMG_5805.jpeg

I’m still feeding him daily & upwards of 8+ feeders. Today he got about 9 plus I don’t even know how many pupated bsfl I released into his enclosure. His casque is close to showing he’s overweight. I think he just looks thin because he was all stretched out and moving towards the camera. It is crazy hard to get pics of him as he’s so active. This pic (another action shot) is from Monday. Do you think he looks too thin in that one too?
View attachment 351555
He’s just in that geeky pre teen phase before he fills out lol

View attachment 351555
Am i missing something, Godzilla has never eaten 8+feeders in a day except for maybe when he was still a baby. Lately 2-3 max.... ive never kept feeding him after 3 though. Should I? Hes 9mo almost 10mo. Tried grasshopper today, no go 🤦🏽‍♂️. He ate two hoppers and two small silkies yesterday though. Im trying to fatten him up, i feel like hes under weight. I have a digital scale, ill start tracking his weight .

Am i missing something, Godzilla has never eaten 8+feeders in a day except for maybe when he was still a baby. Lately 2-3 max.... ive never kept feeding him after 3 though. Should I? Hes 9mo almost 10mo. Tried grasshopper today, no go 🤦🏽‍♂️. He ate two hoppers and two small silkies yesterday though. Im trying to fatten him up, i feel like hes under weight. I have a digital scale, ill start tracking his weight .
I think a lot of it depends on the size of the feeders. I prefer to feed all of my chams bugs no larger than about 1/2-5/8". Up until a few weeks ago, Bart was getting ones just a bit smaller, like 3/8 - 1/2". Panthers grow slower, so I've been going by Chameleon Academy pretty much...not unlimited, but what I think is still a good amount daily. Once he reaches his adult size, then I'll cut him down to the same as I give my others.
From CA -
In the past I have attempted to use a decreasing food intake scale based on age in months. I have gone away from this as every panther will grow at a different rate and a panther that is trailing behind at 6 months should not have food restricted. The intention behind managing diet is to give growing panthers all they can eat so they grow as fast and as big as they can until they are an adult. once they become and adult then the food can be decreased. This begs the question, when are they an adult? The answer is that the panther chameleon has reached their adult size when more food does not increase their length or height, but only their girth. The danger of overshooting this mark is non existent. The worst that will happen is that you will start to see fat pads in the head start to bulge and the body start to “barrel” out. The best way to determine how much you should feed is to feed as much as they will eat every day until you start noticing fat pads building. At this time you can pull back to 3-5 feeder items every other day. Reduce the diet to let the fat pads go down and then sustain them on the 3-4 appropriately sized feeders every other day diet unless they are gravid.

Quick question do they require heat and uvb.
Because I'm breeding hoppers, I provide the heat and uvb. I don't provide my feeders uvb but I do provide them heat. Grasshoppers live a long time. I've had my breeders since November and they are still strong. A order of 50 feeder hoppers would last me 2 months. I do believe the heat helps longevity and it definitely helps with molting.

I think a lot of it depends on the size of the feeders. I prefer to feed all of my chams bugs no larger than about 1/2-5/8". Up until a few weeks ago, Bart was getting ones just a bit smaller, like 3/8 - 1/2". Panthers grow slower, so I've been going by Chameleon Academy pretty much...not unlimited, but what I think is still a good amount daily. Once he reaches his adult size, then I'll cut him down to the same as I give my others.
From CA -
In the past I have attempted to use a decreasing food intake scale based on age in months. I have gone away from this as every panther will grow at a different rate and a panther that is trailing behind at 6 months should not have food restricted. The intention behind managing diet is to give growing panthers all they can eat so they grow as fast and as big as they can until they are an adult. once they become and adult then the food can be decreased. This begs the question, when are they an adult? The answer is that the panther chameleon has reached their adult size when more food does not increase their length or height, but only their girth. The danger of overshooting this mark is non existent. The worst that will happen is that you will start to see fat pads in the head start to bulge and the body start to “barrel” out. The best way to determine how much you should feed is to feed as much as they will eat every day until you start noticing fat pads building. At this time you can pull back to 3-5 feeder items every other day. Reduce the diet to let the fat pads go down and then sustain them on the 3-4 appropriately sized feeders every other day diet unless they are gravid.
Bolt does not turn down feeders. I decreased his count because he was developing some fat pads. But he would eat 10 daily if I gave it to him.

@Keiths04 my veiled is a picky eater. Taking him outside (5 or 10 minutes) prior to feeding seems to encourage him to eat. Also try feeding Gee at a different time, maybe 30 minutes after heat lamp comes on or later. I've fed Bolt as late as 1pm. I just let his heat lamp stay on a bit longer to aide in digestion. Also try a short misting session before feeding. I figure the mist stimulates the salivary glands which might trigger eating.

View attachment 351555
He looks perfect Vicki. Hes more the size of his grandpa Flip. Homer outgrew Flip before he was 1 yr, I just use to seeing all these giant food hogs, lol. I love that he still looks like a youngster, you wait n see, within the next month or so, he will all of the sudden turn his vibrancy back on, n be neon glowing. Flip does this every year, lol. But he gets really blah colors in winter, like all his colors mix into a brownish tone, like when paint is mixed. But Hes starting to snap out of it.

@Keiths04 my veiled is a picky eater. Taking him outside (5 or 10 minutes) prior to feeding seems to encourage him to eat. Also try feeding Gee at a different time, maybe 30 minutes after heat lamp comes on or later. I've fed Bolt as late as 1pm. I just let his heat lamp stay on a bit longer to aide in digestion. Also try a short misting session before feeding. I figure the mist stimulates the salivary glands which might trigger eating.
Thanks for the tips! 🙏🏾

Im going to weigh G today and start a log of his weight. Should have done this a while ago. Thanks for all the help and tips everyone. Couldnt have done it without you guys. 🙏🏾 🦎

Back
Top Bottom