Cameroon Pygmy Help!

Dbash44

Avid Member
I just picked up a Cameroon Pygmy and was wondering if the setup I've got is correctly done. I've got a 10 gallon tank with a screen top, All Living Things tropical uvb for heat and uv. Bottom layers consist of large rocks, Exo Terra drainage mesh, and coconut husk & moss to top it off. I used a combination of the substrate and cork to create different levels to bask and hide in. In addition, I have willow branches for climbing. For humidity and water I've got an Exo Terra Monsoon set for every two hours for about a minute (at the same rate for my Panther seeing as they'll use the same unit), dripper, and a Zoo Med Reptifogger set to low. I looked at the live plant data base to see if a peacock fern would suffice for the cham, but found no information. If OK, how would I go about planting it as well as other plants purchased in an aquatics store? Last. what plants would be recommended that would thrive in a shallow terrarium as shown in the picture attached?

pygmyterr_edit.jpg

pygmyterr2_edit.jpg

The habitat appears to be okay for most pygmy species. The one thing I would suggest would be to remove the bowl in the bottom of the tank. It appears to be a water bowl? If thats the case remove it. We have to remember that a pygmys form of self defense is to "play dead" and mimmic a leaf falling from a tree, the last thing we want if for your little guy to get spooked, and fall into a water bowl. The outcome wouldnt be good.

The main thing you have to watch with most pygmys is the temperatures, humidity and then allowing them to have UVB and plenty of shade.

The habitat appears to be okay for most pygmy species. The one thing I would suggest would be to remove the bowl in the bottom of the tank. It appears to be a water bowl? If thats the case remove it. We have to remember that a pygmys form of self defense is to "play dead" and mimmic a leaf falling from a tree, the last thing we want if for your little guy to get spooked, and fall into a water bowl. The outcome wouldnt be good.

The main thing you have to watch with most pygmys is the temperatures, humidity and then allowing them to have UVB and plenty of shade.

Okay that's great! I'll remove the bowl and the dripper too in order to not douse the bottom with unused water? I'm new to keeping reptiles that require substrate. With that being said, how do I know the difference between damp/moist substrate from saturated? If saturated, what would you suggest to do as far as getting it to dry to substantial levels; something like a small heat mat? Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom