Camera Fairness

ocdirtyjerz

Most of the photos are done with high end cameras. Not all, but its not an even judgment. Some cameras can get very close up, etc. Again, I think it should only be based on 'point & shoot' cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im only have apoint and shoot too.. The ones that have fancy cams (like I hope to own in a few months) can get awesome shots of still waters and detail.. I mean, they paid for the cam so they deserve the credit..but its not fair playing field for everyone else..but I guess thats just how it goes...

Last edited:
This issue comes up all the time. The quality of camera helps, don't get me wrong but it is absolutely possible to take excellent photos with point and shoot cameras. The thing is, people who have SLRs are generally pretty serious about their photography so they put in the time and effort to think about their photo's composition, keeping the animal parallel to the image's recording plane for focus, etc. When people with point and shoots take this same time to think about the photo they are taking, they too can take great photos and win photo contests.

Chris

Agree

This issue comes up all the time. The quality of camera helps, don't get me wrong but it is absolutely possible to take excellent photos with point and shoot cameras. The thing is, people who have SLRs are generally pretty serious about their photography so they put in the time and effort to think about their photo's composition, keeping the animal parallel to the image's recording plane for focus, etc. When people with point and shoots take this same time to think about the photo they are taking, they too can take great photos and win photo contests.

Chris

Chris,

I agree totally with you. It basically boils down to the fact that you need to have an eye for photography. A person who isn't really involved with photography will spend his/her entire life shooting photographs at events, their families, etc... and will only have about 50 shots that can be considered professional quality. Again, that is in one life time.

Tips to the Amateur Photographer:

-Be patient
-Ensure you have proper lighting for the shot
-Ensure you are using the correct ISO setting
(The higher the ISO, the more grainier the image will be)
(Normally I keep my DSLR on ISO 100 or 200)
-Focus your subjects either via eye(s) or nose region
(unless you are concentrating on something different than a human or cham)
-Maintain a small Depth Of Field, unless you want to shoot a scenic photo, then maintain a large DOF.
-ensure F-stop and shutter speeds are set appropriately for the lighting/enviornment
Im sure others can add to these tips and by all means please do, ive got a brain fart.

Last edited:
I just posted two of my DSLR's for sale. ;-) If you want to win then buy one! Ha ha. Kidding. I seriously agree that content counts. I have won other contests on photo boards using pictures taken with my iPhone.

Here are some shots using a pretty shitty iPhone camera:
iPhone Gallery

these are amazing shots. i am assuming you took them into photoshop and turned them black and white, maybe a little adjustment. But they are great

Ageber: yes I convert the pictures into B&W because of the 2 megapixel limitation, the camera has terrible contrast and artifacts. Converting to B&W makes it more forgiving.

I just posted two of my DSLR's for sale. ;-) If you want to win then buy one! Ha ha. Kidding. I seriously agree that content counts. I have won other contests on photo boards using pictures taken with my iPhone.

Here are some shots using a pretty shitty iPhone camera:
iPhone Gallery

Wow! Where do I sign up for your fan club? LOL It is hard to believe those came from a phone camera. You're really good!

Wow! Where do I sign up for your fan club? LOL It is hard to believe those came from a phone camera. You're really good!

I just wanted to throw out there that I have a $1200 camera and have no clue how to use it. :eek: Yep I know it sounds silly but I cant take a good picture on it for the world. (Understanding all the functions might help) I stick to my Rebel which is easy to work. :)

Lucky Dog!!!

I just wanted to throw out there that I have a $1200 camera and have no clue how to use it. :eek: Yep I know it sounds silly but I cant take a good picture on it for the world. (Understanding all the functions might help) I stick to my Rebel which is easy to work. :)

LOL! I love the rebel. Is your $1200 camera a Nikon? You should move up to the new camera whatever it is. Read those manuals, Girl! :) Easy for me to say, I just moved up from a point and shoot to the Rebel.

I hope cameras aren't like chameleons... Can't have just one!

Point and shoot cameras are just that. You point at what you see and snap the shot that you want. They are designed for the consumer that wants to take "happy snaps" of family or vacations without the confusion of f stops focal length or meter readings (it keeps things simple for the average person). SLR's are much more complex and it can be overwhelming to take the shot you want. Not that it can't be done but the average person has to be willing to learn to use an SLR to get the results they want.

That being said: I do not yet have a chameleon but some of the best pictures I have taken are with a point and shoot and I own a DSLR and have studied photography. the first two photographs were taken with a 4 megapixel point and shoot. The last was taken with an 8 megapixel DSLR.

I'm not trying to say that my photo's are award winners. I'm just making the point that great shots can be made with a point and shoot.

None of these were digitally enhanced they were uploaded directly from my cameras to my computer. Sorry for the file size I haven't learned how to resize them yet.

jellyfish39.jpg

snake5.jpg

IMG_9996a.jpg

Digital photography really isn't much different from any other hobby; you can get into it for very little or you can blow a whole lot. I started with several point & shoots from canon, nikon, sony and eventually progressed to SLR with a slew of lenses, flashes, light meters, tripod, monopod, etc - for me it boiled down to what I was trying to do which was shoot sports action of my children. I found it personally very difficult to capture the moment with a limited zoom P&S. When I put a SLR, 400mm zoom L grade lens and 5 frames per second together I had every shot possible (and thousands I don't need).

As for indoors the real issue for me with my point & shoots (P&S) was the flash. The built-in flash of most P&S flashes straight on or at a very modest angle and at any proximity tends to wash out your subject. I can shoot the same shot with my SLR and bounce the flash off walls/ceiling for indirect and/or more natural lighting.

At the end of the day; it's whatever makes you happy - it takes a trained eye to look at a photo and distinguish SLR vs. P&S.

If anyone would like to donate a DSLR to me, I wont complain :) LOL.. I WILL get one soon.. I have used a Nikon but I prefer the Canon. I have a canon 35mm that i play with and a crappy Olympus sp320 that i use for everything else..wont register batts anymore but I took all the pics on my website with it, although some people say they arent that great... If you see what Im working with people, youd think otherwise. Im lucky to get one shot off a pack of new batteries so its a hassle and frustrating and I never get to exactly get the pic I want because the *&&^ thing dies in the middle!! LOL..I didn;t mean you can take great shots with a P&S ..I think mine are great..but the people who KNOW how to use a DSLR are apt to have more ability to get a better, clearer, detailed shot.

If anyone would ..but the people who KNOW how to use a DSLR are apt to have more ability to get a better, clearer, detailed shot.

True - but being a DSLR owner I'm LESS likely to be able to capture a quick little funny shot. It's a major pain in the behind to break out 5lbs of camera hoping my animal/child/etc. will 'hold that pose' while I assemble everything. That is definitely where the P&S has it over the SLR :D

1. "Look the lizard is smiling"
2. Point - shoot - share!

or

1. "Look the lizard is smiling"
2. Get camera bag from office/car, etc.
3. Open bag, select appropriate lens.
4. Put lens on camera body.
5. Grab flash, put batteries in flash.
6. Put flash on camera
7. Go to enclosure, find lizard, wait on autofocus, adjust fstop, iso, etc.
8. Realize you left memory card in PC - go get memory card.
9. Put card back in camera, aim shot again.
10. Lizard is nowhere to be seen.

As I said - P&S has MANY benefits when it comes to spontaneity :D

Yes, it is possible to take a decent photo with a point and shoot.

But frankly even a person with a very good eye for composition will not be able to take as good a photo with a point and shoot as with a higher end camera. My point and shoot has two shutter speeds, only 2. I have NO aperture control, NONE. I have no Focus control. My lighting control is flash On or Off, and table lamp on or off. I do not have a remote control and there is no timer, so there is likely motion added from the button push. I dont have a tripod. My camera is old and sucks. So, naturally, my chances of taking a good photo are significantly less than if I had a quality camera. I take much better photos when I borrow a decent camera, even though I'm still very much learning and my choice of lenses is limited.

So yes it is generally unfair to judge point-and-shoot pics against shots taken with higher end cameras.

All that said, its a photo contest. Not a "I have a sucky camera" best of a bad lot snapshot contest. Of course those with good cameras and a good eye for photography are going to win most often. As they well should! Its a photo contest.

The rest of us can take our imperfect photos, enjoy them, share them, create a photo album in our profiles, and that's worth just as much if not more than a little ribbon icon under our name.

LOL! I love the rebel. Is your $1200 camera a Nikon? You should move up to the new camera whatever it is. Read those manuals, Girl! :) Easy for me to say, I just moved up from a point and shoot to the Rebel.

I hope cameras aren't like chameleons... Can't have just one!

It is a Nikon. I am one of those that hates change. I love my Rebel and it is good and works for what I need so I guess I havent even really tried. I am in school and dont have time but I would love to take some photography classes one day.

Rachel; as I see it you have two options:

1. Trade it at Repticon in Orlando for a few more chams

2. Take a night course at USF.

3. Just down the street from you is this class: http://www.ntphotodigital.com/news2.html

Good luck!

edit: Just saw your other post about being in school already - maybe you'll need an extra credit and can sneak in photography! Think positive!

Rachel; as I see it you have two options:

1. Trade it at Repticon in Orlando for a few more chams

2. Take a night course at USF.

3. Just down the street from you is this class: http://www.ntphotodigital.com/news2.html

Good luck!

edit: Just saw your other post about being in school already - maybe you'll need an extra credit and can sneak in photography! Think positive!

Or you could check out the New York Institute of Photography. You can do their courses via corespondance and there are no deadlines, just do it at your own pace. This is where I learned photography. I highly recommend them, I'm on my last assignment now.

Back
Top Bottom