Camera Fairness

If we start down the road of splitting up the competition based on tools, then we better be serious about it.

Category for dslr's
Category for dslr's with L series lenses.
Category for dslr's with 1 external flash unit
Category for dslr with 2 exteranl flash units and a L series lens

etc...

point and shoots with no ISO control
point and shoots with aperature priorty but no ISO control
Point and shoots with external flash units and aperature priority controls.

Ok, ok..too much. But you get my drift. My point is that there is not this strong border between p&s and slr's. The Canon G-10 is a point and shoot, but it has everry single manual feature that my camera has..plus a few more!!

And those of you who look towards the greener pastures of the dslr's..come join us...but trust me..I'm standing here looking at the greener pastures of the extension tube kit with an MT-24 EX, and that grass looks damn good to me. I'm convinced it'll make me a better photographer.

;)

It.
Never.
Stops.

...'m standing here looking at the greener pastures of the extension tube kit with an MT-24 EX, and that grass looks damn good to me. I'm convinced it'll make me a better photographer.

;)

It.
Never.
Stops.

Is your DSLR full frame? My only complaint about pro-am DSLR's is that you are still not capturing 35mm full frame equivalent - albeit I hardly know what I'm missing but I feel the need to upgrade the body. Your thoughts?

klangford. The whole full frame vs. crop sensor debate has been going on for ages (well since crop was introduced). It really boils down to what you need. Some people prefer the vignetting seen on full frame sensors, while others hate it. Some people love that cropped sensors take full advantage of the lens sweet spot and the extra focal length equivalent it provides. Either way, both are very capable of great pictures and equally used by the pro's.

If money wasn't an issue then yeah. It's the "cry once" theory. If you're really serious about photography then pay for your gear once, buy full frame the first time. It's just such a price jump..it's not worth it to me at my level.

And to be honest, I love my little rebel. It still does nearly everything I require it to do at my skill level. I'll get a new body when I know exactly why it will help me.

So my 60mm isn't really 60mm. Nobody really cares.

my thoughts.

Royden,

I don't really buy the whole cry once thing. If you're serious enough and need a full frame at some point to make money or for serious artistic endeavor, the crop camera can be a great backup body. I have 3 camera's LOL. Sigh. That's why I am selling my 2 spare bodies for a new lens.

Nate

True - but being a DSLR owner I'm LESS likely to be able to capture a quick little funny shot. It's a major pain in the behind to break out 5lbs of camera hoping my animal/child/etc. will 'hold that pose' while I assemble everything. That is definitely where the P&S has it over the SLR :D

1. "Look the lizard is smiling"
2. Point - shoot - share!

or

1. "Look the lizard is smiling"
2. Get camera bag from office/car, etc.
3. Open bag, select appropriate lens.
4. Put lens on camera body.
5. Grab flash, put batteries in flash.
6. Put flash on camera
7. Go to enclosure, find lizard, wait on autofocus, adjust fstop, iso, etc.
8. Realize you left memory card in PC - go get memory card.
9. Put card back in camera, aim shot again.
10. Lizard is nowhere to be seen.

As I said - P&S has MANY benefits when it comes to spontaneity :D

Sir...you are too funny! Funny and True!

I didn't read all this but I just want to say I love that Brad added the camera specs on the pictures.

Also, the only thing unfair is that some of the SLRs have a saturation mode on them...vivid...darn Nikons...I am starting to see more and more of this vivid being used with glowing green leaves and super saturated chameleons.

-chris

I didn't read all this but I just want to say I love that Brad added the camera specs on the pictures.

Also, the only thing unfair is that some of the SLRs have a saturation mode on them...vivid...darn Nikons...I am starting to see more and more of this vivid being used with glowing green leaves and super saturated chameleons.

-chris

hear hear..
keep the saturation level normal people! :)

Back
Top Bottom