Calm Colors

Haven27

My boyfriend just bought me a baby veiled chammie yesterday. He noticed that I fell in love with the little boy when I put my finger up to the glass, and he was trying so hard to climb onto it that he would follow my finger! Watching him do that made me love him right away because my old boy (he passed away of kidney disease recently) HATED me being near him.

Anyway, I’m just wondering what are their calmest colors? Because my new little guy seems really calm when he was being handled. He is almost always the light green colors, unless I tried to feed him by hand (then he would puff up and get his spots on and hiss), but do they remain light green even if they are stressed at any point? I do know that a chameleon will fall asleep if super stressed out so I’m just wondering.

Also, should I be worried about the discoloration on his right arm? Stuck shed or just hatched that way? As I said, we only got him yesterday, and he did have some shed skin still on him, so that’s what I was assuming it was is stuck shed that hasn’t come off yet.

I’ve also provided a picture I just now took of him being displeased with the phone being so close for a nice picture to show the differences.
AC1CCC82-E17E-425E-A80A-AA4493D8C8E2.jpeg
023C611D-942C-423B-BE0F-31A7484BBC6A.jpeg
86ED1D27-5AA8-40DB-86F8-0D241053D043.jpeg
9ED6A568-D21D-4E47-A932-5003651EDFDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on your new baby. Looks more like stuck shed on his arm or dirt. I would just watch it. He looks a bit dehydrated. If you want additional feedback you could fill out the form below. Include a few pics of his entire enclosure lights down. :)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

I wouldn't worry about the discoloration on his arm right now but I would also keep an eye on it in case there is any change.

As for stress colors, generally bright doesnt mean happy or relaxed. Subdued coloring in my experience shows a relax chameleon.

Your first photo is showing a nervous/defensive coloration with the bright green and vivid black spots. The other photos look to me like he is more relaxed but still bright which tells me hes nervous being out in the open. Again, these are just my observations based on my experiences with my chameleon. Every cham is different.

With that being said, I do think he could use some more hydration. Eyes look a tiny bit sunken but nothing to be concerned with right now if you increasing misting to 3+ minutes 3 or more times per day.

Congrats on your new baby. He is gorgeous and marked so well. I like the different in color variations on his legs. Makes him special!

Back
Top Bottom