Callus on chameleons casque

Gbetts1986

I've noticed my veiled has a weird callus looking thing on the top of his casque. Does anyone know what this is from and how to fix it? Thank you .

Attachments

• CE795464-054F-48A0-8370-43566AE8B3F0.JPG
    CE795464-054F-48A0-8370-43566AE8B3F0.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 178
  • B0B06B8A-57F2-4324-8F46-FEB0CDFED9C1.JPG
    B0B06B8A-57F2-4324-8F46-FEB0CDFED9C1.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 190
The heat lamp is about 6 inches above his basking branch. Is there any kind of ointment that can be put on it? Will it heal on its own if the light is raised some. I've had him for about 6 months and this only just started happening in the last 2 weeks.

No that needs vet attention. It is badly infected, the only kind of ointment that can help that is prescribed by a vet and he may need oral antibiotics.

If you cant immediately get to the vet I would suggest washing it out, to at least get some bacteria out. Warm water, and dry it well afterwards, you dont want more bacteria to be attracted to the wet, warm, open wound

I'm going to take him to the vet, it's just going to be a couple days. Wondering if there is anything I can do in the mean time. The exotic pet vet is only open a couple days a week here.

I wouldn't go that far lol. It doesn't seem badly infected since it's not oozing any pus or anything

If it has any puss at all, from the looks of it does under the skin, it needs to be cleaned by a vet and lanced. It's the way reptile pus/infection works.

I'm going to take him to the vet, it's just going to be a couple days. Wondering if there is anything I can do in the mean time. The exotic pet vet is only open a couple days a week here.
You could put a topical antibiotic on it like neosporin until you get him to a vet.

I don't think it's a burn, for 2 reasons. #1, if you have had the same light on him for that long, and haven't changed anything, this would have shown up a long time ago. #2 I have never seen a burn that looks like that! I would be more inclined to think he was either bitten by a feeder insect, or somehow scraped it open on something. Both are very inconspicuous, but have a huge potential for infection. Also, it was most likely a very small wound, which probably healed over almost immediately, therefore sealing the infection inside before you ever even noticed anything was wrong. I feel that he needs it lanced and drained by a vet, and a minimum of a shot of antibiotics. There is bone directly under that infected tissue, and it can have the potential to get into the bone, which is a death sentence for your beautiful boy. He is beyond the point where topical antibiotic ointment will help, so there is no reason to stress him out that much. Just get him to the vet, and I feel like he should be fine. I am by no means an expert, but I do have a bit of human medical training.

Back
Top Bottom