Calling all gut-load experts. I think I'm on to something...

I want to point out again, that I washed a chicken egg shell (1/2) and peeled the membrane from the egg shell and put it in the cricket compound. The crickets have been actively munching on the shell for a couple weeks now. All I can do is speculate, but I think they may be picking up a bit of calcium by consuming the shell. They are not crunching it up at such a rate that they could even possibly have too much calcium, but probably barely a negligible amount. The point being, I may be giving my chameleon the benefit of calcium in maybe each cricket. Of course I continue to follow a regular calcium schedule, especially since last week was egg laying week. Anyway, this is something o at least consider. All you have to lose is an egg shell after all.

So you are saying that it shouldn't be a concern if there is a high protein diet (>20%) if it is made up of varied plant sources that represent complete proteins?

Not what I said, no. Im saying you are unlikey to get that high of a complete protein score from plant matter. Even if you did, the impact is different - as described in post 34.

...if we have a gutload, like Dinofuel, that is in excess of 20% protein, but from plant sources is that a problem?

From what I do know about it, Dino Fuel is a good product to add/include as part of a healthy gutload routine, and does not contain meat. I dont know if DinoFuel has high protein levels. You'd have to talk about that with the maker.

This is my primary concern. I wanted to know if there were any others you knew of that I should be concerned with besides gout.

Like I already said, I feel there is a potential concern with fat soluable vitamins. Other people have other concerns.

I actually cited the same article earlier in this thread as evidence for my concern back in post 13.

sorry. for me that was many posts back and hundreds of other threads ago. and admittedly, Ive not read this whole thread so probably didnt even see it when you posted it.

i guess i just wonder what you personally eat because i always have fruits and vegetables around anyway. I just throw any cuttings and scraps in to the cricket cage and they mow it down.

i guess i just wonder what you personally eat because i always have fruits and vegetables around anyway. I just throw any cuttings and scraps in to the cricket cage and they mow it down.

I eat primarily organic myself. The majority being fresh meats and vegetables. Don't really care for fruit, too sugary. I don't like using fresh veggies for my roaches because of the spoiling and attracting gnats. Also, too time consuming. Looking for something more efficient. And I wonder at the purpose of your post other than to troll ;)

...I don't like using fresh veggies for my roaches because of the spoiling and attracting gnats. Also, too time consuming.

it should all be consumed within minutes. If stuff if there long enough to spoil, you've provided too much. gnats are not attracted to vegetables. Tossing some veggies into a bin is hardly time consuming?

Yeah, only put enough in that it is eaten within a few hours or maybe a day. I keep my bug bins in the same room as the chameleons, so I just stop in the kitchen, grab a handful (I have so many bugs its usually a bag-full of veggies/fruits that I tossed together previously, but with only a small colony, it shouldnt really be more than a handful) of whatever I need and toss it into the bug bins. I usually let them eat while i do whatever else I need to (cleaning, health inspections, filling drippers, etc.) then I gather the bugs to feed off after they have eaten a bit of it.

Back
Top Bottom