Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - furcifer pardalis,Ambanja
full

full

full

full

full

Handling -when cleaning/sunning/

Feeding - a well gut loaded, supplemented, varied diet of crickets,dubia,silkies,supers,the occasional Goliath, and phoenix worms

Supplements - repcal /miner-all o calcium (no d3) 3x per week on 3-5 feeders,repcal multi 1-2x per month on 3-5 feeders, calcium with d3 once a month.

Watering - dripper/misting system

Fecal Description -solid/normal

History - cbb animal, I've had him almost 6 months now..

Current Problem - Ok so...

Its weird, I haven't seen him really fire up yet..Its like he doesn't even see the other chameleons i hold in front of him, male or female. He was rubbing and closing his eye and had a bit of an eye infection(right eye) about 2-3 weeks ago so I took him to the vet. He prescribed neo-poly-dex for it and it seemed to clear it up..However I still catch him rubbing his eye(s) a lot on his branches..I know he can see because he still snags his free ranged feeders, but he definitely gets a lot closer nowadays before projecting his tongue. as if hes having trouble focusing. Or as if he is loosing his sight..His lighting set up is pretty standard- reptisun 5.0 and a 50wt bulb to allow a basking temp of 85-90 degrees depending on the ambient room temp for the day..any ideas on what could be wrong?

thanks for all your help and responses in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................ When I show my cham to the mirror he doesn't react by firing up either. I can't really help, just pointing that out there. He does get ad occassionally when he sees me on my computer or if I run into the room.XDXD

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................ When I show my cham to the mirror he doesn't react by firing up either. I can't really help, just pointing that out there. He does get ad occassionally when he sees me on my computer or if I run into the room.XDXD

thanks for reading, and your reply,....

yeah, he doesn't fire to his reflection at all..
take notice to the 4th pic.. he looks half way fired.. you can see my hand and he seems to not want it there but he never really looked directly at it...its like he has a vision problem... the vet was of no help except for the prescription for his infection..

Cage Info:

Cage Type -2x2x4 screen enclosure
full

Lighting - reptisun 5.0/ 50watt bulb to allow a basking temp of 85-90

Temperature - 70-90 degrees

Humidity - automated misting system, 3 times a day for 5 mins each session

Plants - ficus,sheffy

Location - cham room, as high as possible

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - furcifer pardalis,Ambanja
full

full

full

full

full

Handling -when cleaning/sunning/

Feeding - a well gut loaded, supplemented, varied diet of crickets,dubia,silkies,supers,the occasional Goliath, and phoenix worms

Supplements - repcal /miner-all o calcium (no d3) 3x per week on 3-5 feeders,repcal multi 1-2x per month on 3-5 feeders, calcium with d3 once a month.

Watering - dripper/misting system

Fecal Description -solid/normal

History - cbb animal, I've had him almost 6 months now..

Current Problem - Ok so...

Its weird, I haven't seen him really fire up yet..Its like he doesn't even see the other chameleons i hold in front of him, male or female. He was rubbing and closing his eye and had a bit of an eye infection(right eye) about 2-3 weeks ago so I took him to the vet. He prescribed neo-poly-dex for it and it seemed to clear it up..However I still catch him rubbing his eye(s) a lot on his branches..I know he can see because he still snags his free ranged feeders, but he definitely gets a lot closer nowadays before projecting his tongue. as if hes having trouble focusing. Or as if he is loosing his sight..His lighting set up is pretty standard- reptisun 5.0 and a 50wt bulb to allow a basking temp of 85-90 degrees depending on the ambient room temp for the day..any ideas on what could be wrong?

thanks for all your help and responses in advance

It could be that the he is still healing up and that he has a some type of scratch or something like that. My so called friend accidentally poked me in the trying to make me flinch about a week or so ago. It looks to be healed up except for a couple red scratches and it is extremely bothersome still and I have to itch it a lot. Sometimes my vision will go blurry for like sec. I need to go to the eye doctor to get it checked out I guess. It could be that or he is having an allergic reaction to the medicine your vet prescribed. Your husbandry doesn't seem to be the problem.
Could it be the plants?
I know ficus do have a mildly toxic sap. It could be causing the itch. I am using a sheffy right now btw.XDXD Hopefully that information wiil be helpful or is helpful to you in any way.:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Your set up and cage looks really good....no problems there...

Maybe hes just really docile and friendly :confused: quit trying to get him all puffed up ;)

Just keep an eye on him im sure everything is fine.

Your set up and cage looks really good....no problems there...

Maybe hes just really docile and friendly :confused: quit trying to get him all puffed up ;)

Just keep an eye on him I'm sure everything is fine.

Its not that..lol ..I'm an experienced keeper..I know when something is off..he seems healthy hes just not right..also he seems a lil unbalanced..

thanks for your response:)

OK I read this and just went a did a little experiment. I have a deigo that I got that had a real bad eye infection. Well it seems to be ok now he just never opens that eye other than to hunt. Well I just put him in front of a mirrior the first eye I did was the one with the infection. I had him opening it looking around and nothing. Then I switched sides to the normal eye and he fired right up. So very possible he is having focusing problems. That would make sence while my guy keeps that eye closed most of the time.

OK I read this and just went a did a little experiment. I have a deigo that I got that had a real bad eye infection. Well it seems to be ok now he just never opens that eye other than to hunt. Well I just put him in front of a mirrior the first eye I did was the one with the infection. I had him opening it looking around and nothing. Then I switched sides to the normal eye and he fired right up. So very possible he is having focusing problems. That would make sence while my guy keeps that eye closed most of the time.

thanks for the reply, Its funny I've actually tried that as well but he seems to not notice with either eye..mirror or female/male cham (the only reason im showing other chams to him is because i know something is off..any cham should fire when encountering a potential threat/mate)

Weeeeeelllllll......my big male sambava never fires up. The closest he got was some eager head bobbing at my other male panther.

It is possible, but it does sound like his eye isn't fully healed and is having issues focusing.

thanks for the response :), yeah, im just starting to worry/wonder if hes going blind! im more worried about him seeing correctly then firing up.. im more or less relating the "non-firing" to his possible vision problem. i should add that he sometimes blindly waves his arms around as if hes "feeling" his way through his cage, as well as seeming to lose his balance( just a little, not horribly).

Whats up Ray! I dont have much input either and I know everyone is kinda pointing toward his vision but if he is snagging feeders then ?? All I can add is that D.H. doesnt fire up at other male chams just humans and lady chams.

Thanks for the replies and kind words guys..:)

He does still snag his food but, like i said,its odd, he gets really close before shooting and seems to "over analyze" his prey before getting basically right on top of it and finally zapping it,...sometimes this ordeal will last over 5 minutes! He NEVER use to do this...he use to hand feed on cue,....something is off..,,i will get to the bottom of this...lol

anyone else have any ideas? or deal with a similar situation?..

Ray

Other than your prior eye problem it doesn't sound like anything is really wrong from the description you gave:confused:

He may not be old/mature enough or dominante enough to fire up at other males.

He may be slowing down a bit for winter, hence the less excitement/urgency at feeding.

Keep misting the eye to be safe.

Rubbing the eye on the branch could also just be a preshed itch.

Other than your prior eye problem it doesn't sound like anything is really wrong from the description you gave:confused:

He may not be old/mature enough or dominante enough to fire up at other males.

He may be slowing down a bit for winter, hence the less excitement/urgency at feeding.

Keep misting the eye to be safe.

Rubbing the eye on the branch could also just be a preshed itch.

thanks for the response Kevin,..

I know that's why its bugging me so much... everything is fine husbandry/health wise(minus his recovering eye infection) and still ,...i can tell hes just,,.. off.. He didn't act this way 6 months ago...this odd behavior started about 2-3 months ago...fallowed by the eye infection..good point about the pre-shed itch, he did just shed 2 days ago..but,..i noticed him itching today!:mad::confused: i was planning on this guy to be my future ambanja stud(i hope:)) i have to get him back to normal.. i hope its not to late.

Ray
I want to throw in a few things here about your situation. Here is a perfect example of 1. your cham was obviously ill. 2. you went to the vet and got a perscription for an antibiotic for an eye infection. 3. Your cham has never seemed to return to a normal state of health. 4. nobody really knows what is wrong with him and you are concerned.
This is where Reptaid come into the picture. I don't know if you have read any of the thread about it under Classifieds Miscellaneous, but I suggest that you do. Reptaid is an all natural organic health boost that acts as both an antibiotic and an antiparasitic. We have used it for many many chams in our lab for about a year and have seen miraculous recoveries. As for eye infections, they clear up perfectly in like a day or two. I know, hard to believe but once you try it you will realize that it works. It works just as well on respiratory infections. Another forum member had a cham with a very serious eye infection in Hawaii. The poor cham's eyes had been closed for many days. He could not afford a vet but when he got the Reptaid he administerd it right away. The very next day the cham was eyes open and acting normal. He posted on 12/1 on that thread about it.
I encourage you to read that thread and do try the Reptaid.

Back
Top Bottom