California Heat Bulb Suggestions -

Connorology

Avid Member
Hello All,

So with with the weather about to get chillier, I am a few weeks away from my annual "switching of the bulbs" where I swap out my 75 watt incandescent basing bulb to a higher wattage 150 watt basking bulb (both are always hooked up to a thermostat but my local summers get quite warm and a lower weaker summer bulb is required regardless).

Unfortunately, California appears to have banned my favored incandescent heat lamp, the "Philips Plant Light" from Home Depot that I have used for years (part of our attempt to segue everyone over to more energy effective lighting). Reptile heat bulbs are exempt from this law, but they need to be marketed as such. In my recent experience, reptile bulbs are sort of crummy and can burn out pretty quickly. The old plant lights were good because they helped me with my plants as well, and were a flood light so they had better penetration in a tall vivarium.

I'm looking for recommendations that hopefully won't immediately burn out like some of the basking bulbs do. Does anyone use reptile-marketed flood/spot lights for basking?

Back
Top Bottom