Cagney, my panther is sick. Kidney problems. Help

boondyke69

Established Member
A couple of months ago I took James Cagney to see the vet because he was not himself, kinda slow & not looking great. They ran blood work & said his white blood cell count was high. We put him thru 2 rounds of antibiotics. He seemed to rally & perk up. The vet said one other of his level was high & it could be a sign of kidney issues. The X-ray didn't show any inflammation.
Now he has taken a dive. This X-ray showed a "protrusion" from his kidney.
He has lost weight... I am waiting for the blood work results... He got a shot of vitamin a & fluids.
Any help or ideas would be so helpful...
I love him & am worried
He will be 5 in October, I was told male panthers life expectancy is 9-12 years.
The vet says his bone density is good

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your Panther. I just recently had a chameleon with kidney problems and he seems to have made a turn around. Five is a senior for a panther. My vets says he normally sees them pass between 4 and six. My daughter and I have been keeping since 2004 and she had one male make it to 8 and I had one make it to 7. Sadly most went between 4 and 6.

Antibiotics are very hard on the kidneys. I would defiantly not use those anymore. Allopurinol Is often used for kidney issues. Amos was also anemic and took liquid vitiman b for that. How experience is your vet with chameleons?

They are the best exotic vets here. That is why I take him there, they care for my fuzzy kids as well.
5 is senior? I was told 9-12 for males... Since he is losing weight, I got wax worms for him.
He must have thought it was his bday...
He ate 17 of them! I would get him lobster if he wanted it.

They are the best exotic vets here. That is why I take him there, they care for my fuzzy kids as well.
5 is senior? I was told 9-12 for males... Since he is losing weight, I got wax worms for him.
He must have thought it was his bday...
He ate 17 of them! I would get him lobster if he wanted it.
Stay positive....spoil him and enjoy him while you can. He heads one life...make it his best.

Cagney update after vet visit
Cagney if home after his visit, his blood work showed definite kidney desease. But not kidney failure!!'
He got subconscious fluids. I am doubling his rain in his habitat. He is getting lots of waxworms (high in fat) but he can have whatever he will eat.
He gained 4 grams!!

Keeping him well hydrated will help him to flush his kidneys. & of course calcium

So lots of care & love.
I was worried the the blood work, that it was his time... Whew

he is more active & alert.
I told the vet no antibiotics, due to them causing kidney problems

Plan on getting fluid injections every week.

Back
Top Bottom