caging, mister, plant recommendations?

Jam

Hi everyone --

I have decided that I want to update Hermie's habitat. I figure after nearly drowning he deserves some updates and if he can survive that he's probably goign to be around for a while to come.

Is there such a thing as "too big" for a male veiled enclosure? What is the max size that you would recommend?

I want to invest in an automatic mister for him ... I just have one chameleon (and am going to keep it that way) do you have any recommendations?

A good source for live plants? All of his current plants are fake...

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Is there such a thing as "too big" for a male veiled enclosure? What is the max size that you would recommend?

24" x 24" x 48" is most commonly used and perfect for male veiled and panther chameleons. If you wanted to go bigger, it'd be ok. But this is all thats necessary.

I want to invest in an automatic mister for him ... I just have one chameleon (and am going to keep it that way) do you have any recommendations?

I use a mistking. many others are available but the mistking is worth every penny. I've tried others only to be dissapointed. They are pricey but the freedom from misting and the convenience definately make it worth it.

A good source for live plants? All of his current plants are fake...

Home depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Nurseries should all have the proper plants. They use pesticides though so you have to clean and repot all the plants you buy from these stores. I don't know if you have anything like that around you. The most common plants used are Ficus trees, Hibiscus trees, schefflera trees, and golden pothos ivys. Many many others are ok to be used. There is a safe plant list showing which plants are safe and which ones arn't. If you can not find the right plants any where locally lllreptile sells ficus trees and so does kammerflage kreations.

hope this helps
-Andrea

forgot to say... all the sites I've listed are site sponsers and links can be found in the link on the top right corner of the page :)

-Andrea

You MUST purchase a mistking. I own one myself and it is one of the greatest products I have ever bought. It's very easy to set it up and it also works very very well. Be sure to buy the automatic timer that comes with it.

Andrea pretty much nailed it down.

The larger chain stores carry mainly whats in season at the time and you may need to seek a local nursery to find the specialties. If they don't have it on hand they can usually order whatever you want.

I also use a MistKing system and am very happy with it.

-Jay

Thanks guys! I will def. get a mistking if hermie keeps hanging in there. 10-day recheck. So as long as he is showing good progress I really want to make him a kingdom.

Do people recommend flexariums over the aluminum cages? currently I have a flexarium but am looking to upgrade in size and was looking at both of the flexariums and aluminum cages.

i saw that llreptile sells plants for reptiles as well so I might be buying some from there too.

Thanks guys! I will def. get a mistking if hermie keeps hanging in there. 10-day recheck. So as long as he is showing good progress I really want to make him a kingdom.

Do people recommend flexariums over the aluminum cages? currently I have a flexarium but am looking to upgrade in size and was looking at both of the flexariums and aluminum cages.

i saw that llreptile sells plants for reptiles as well so I might be buying some from there too.

yeah the first ficus i bought was from them and it was very healthy. And aluminum screen cages own the crap out of flexariums. I hear lots of problems with zippers and people are upset due to the visibility. Also, crickets can chew through them. I think a better long term investment would be the aluminum. lllreptile has them on sale right now.

I bought my 2'x2'x4' cage from LLL last week and its a nice set-up. Its wire mesh and has stainless screws and aluminum hinges. But you will need some way to get the door open after shut, There was no door handle and its hard to get a hold of after shut. They charged me a extra $10 for shipping due to size. Its ok, but i think next time i will build my own out of wood and wire mesh screen.

For those of you with the wire/aluminum cages ... what are the bottoms made of? and how do you handle draining? With my current flexarium, I have it at a slight angle, and then a hole in the front of the lining that the water flows out of and into a tub (the one hermie went ... err... swimming in). Just thinking about how I would manage water control in an aluminum cage if it has a solid bottom.

thanks!

For those of you with the wire/aluminum cages ... what are the bottoms made of? and how do you handle draining? With my current flexarium, I have it at a slight angle, and then a hole in the front of the lining that the water flows out of and into a tub (the one hermie went ... err... swimming in). Just thinking about how I would manage water control in an aluminum cage if it has a solid bottom.

thanks!

the bottoms are a pvc plastic sheet. For drainage i put my cage on a metal rack and a tub underneath and cut a few holes in the center of the sheet. The live plants have heavy pots that way down the sheet. (it has no support underneath other than the rack) so the water drains straight down the holes and into the tub

-Andrea.

You MUST purchase a mistking. I own one myself and it is one of the greatest products I have ever bought. It's very easy to set it up and it also works very very well. Be sure to buy the automatic timer that comes with it.

Be sure to buy the automatic mister that comes with it?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom