Cage Size

MATT2504

Established Member
Guess who again? :D

Does it matter if you house a baby cham in an adult cage (6x3x3)????

(be kind) LOL

Definitely sounds too big for a baby. You could probably use that sized cage at around 6mths or older but for a young cham it would most likely be way too hard for them to find their food and hunt effectively.

You could subdivide that nice generous cage temporarily so the little cham can hunt and find its food more easily. Or, you can confine the food to a plastic Critter Keeper inside the big cage with perches that allow the cham to climb close enough to shoot at the feeders. Larger cages are great eventually as you can use nice large bushy plants, provide lots of micro habitats with different humidity, temp, and light levels, and give the cham much more choice in where to move around.

Aside from the obvious trouble finding food, my recent experience in acquiring a baby melleri and putting it in a 36"x36"x24" screened in enclosure was stressful for both me and the cham. The main thing I noticed was him not staying under the uvb or basking light and just wondering all around. My solution was I got some soft mesh screen and attached it to the inside of the cage and made it half the size. Now he basks' more under both the uvb and the basking light. There are two scheffeleras and multiple branches so he can take a walk and explore without really getting lost and when he is done for the day he goes down under the leaves out of the light and curls up. He seems happier and I'm less stressed.

Besides the cham not being able to find food, and not being able to find adequate lighting, also note the effects it could have on your room. Remember, being a larger enclosure means that you need to work harder to keep the humidity up and the temps right. IE alot more water and lighting. With my mellers cage (4x4x6) , just keeping the humidity at the levels it needs to be, brought up the temp in my room 7 degrees and the area around it is wet most of the day. Besides the stuffiness and the possible wall damage, it could be great. Just remember to not go overboard, as it will become a larger a chore than it has to be.

Back
Top Bottom