Cage size?

Mr.Panther

Hi I just recently found chameleon forums and I am really glad I got accepted its cool to be in a community with people just like you.
so this is my question I am planning on getting a female panther chameleon and was wondering if I can put it in a 18x18x36 all the care requirements are perfect and it is all live planted I do realise bigger is always better but currently this size of cage is all my parents are ok with.
I would get a carpet cham but the only ones available in canada rn are WC so is a 18x18x36 fine for a female panther? (also sorry for how messy my writing is)

24 x 24 x 48 isn't the recommended size; it's the recommended minimum size.
The only alternative minimum size is 36 x 18 x 36, and ideal size is gravitating toward 48 x 24 x 48 or larger.

Placement of the enclosure is arguably as important as size.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

Feel free to verify independently, but too small an enclosure can be a source of undue stress, which in turn can affect health in the long run. (i.e. potentially more vet bills)

If you haven't already, I encourage you to peruse the entire Husbandry Program on Chameleon Academy, and the Panther Chameleon Care Sheet, including the Panther Chameleon Care Summary .pdf Download just below the podcast.

@MissSkittles you know alot about panthers what do you think
I don’t know all that much about panthers, but I’m always learning. :) I like to give my animals as much space as I can. I have my boys in double sized enclosures and my girls in single 2x2x4’ enclosures. They all fully use the space that they have. If I had a bigger room/house, I’d have them all in double sized. You have to think about it as not just a place to keep your animal, but it being your animal’s home where it will spend the entirety of it’s life. I’m not sure, but I believe Jackson’s chameleons might be okay (better than a panther or veiled) in the size enclosure your parents will allow.

I don’t know all that much about panthers, but I’m always learning. :) I like to give my animals as much space as I can. I have my boys in double sized enclosures and my girls in single 2x2x4’ enclosures. They all fully use the space that they have. If I had a bigger room/house, I’d have them all in double sized. You have to think about it as not just a place to keep your animal, but it being your animal’s home where it will spend the entirety of it’s life. I’m not sure, but I believe Jackson’s chameleons might be okay (better than a panther or veiled) in the size enclosure your parents will allow.
I know that people recomend baby chams in there full sized enclosure but do you think that it is ok if I were to start a baby in a 18x18x36 and them after like 6 months?

I have my boys in double sized enclosures and my girls in single 2x2x4’ enclosures.
Missus says she would like to have a few words with you out back...
1637856700040.png

You have to think about it as not just a place to keep your animal, but it being your animal’s home where it will spend the entirety of it’s life.
+1, (y)

I’m not sure, but I believe Jackson’s chameleons might be okay (better than a panther or veiled) in the size enclosure your parents will allow.
Same size for the "Big Three"* ;) (Which makes it easier for me to remember—mind like a steel trap sieve. :LOL: )
https://chameleonacademy.com/jacksons-chameleon-care/

* Veiled, Panther, Jackson's

I know that people recomend baby chams in there full sized enclosure but do you think that it is ok if I were to start a baby in a 18x18x36 and them after like 6 months?
.... [hesitation].... Technically, it's probably OK, BUT (big 'but')....

The concern/hesitation is that—regardless of the best intentions—due to the vicissitudes of life, sometimes the upgrade gets delayed, postponed, or forgotten, and never happens, and it's the animal that gets the worst end of things.

Not saying I think that would happen here, but regrettably it does happen.
Life happens. 💩 happens.

1637857017040.png

I don’t think that’s true Jackson’s are smaller but they are quite restless at least mine is and the minimum is still 2’2’4’ I haven’t experienced them during mating season but from what I hear the males especially will crawl all over and no cage is big enough for them when they are looking for girls a hoehnelii could work although they need very cold nights. It’s unfortunate you can’t get cb carpets in Canada rn or at least they aren’t readily available because they are an absolute joy. I’d honestly say the big 3 readily available cb chameleons can’t live in a 18 18 36 just because they need those microclimates and gradients a larger enclosure offers and you’ll find that sometimes you feel even a 2’2’4 doesn’t even give YOU as much space as you’d like to work with. Also I’d argue just about any baby reptile could do fine in it’s adult enclosure if set up properly it’s important to remember they are born in the wild where they have no limits to where they have to find food. A baby chameleon will do just fine in it’s adult enclosure breeders only keep them in smaller due to space issues Althougg not a chameleon I’ve raised plenty of my baby reptiles who were recommended to be in smaller enclosures until they get bigger in their adult enclosures and they have grown just fine and are healthy and happy as long as provided the proper amount of hiding spots, feeding stations water and privacy to feel secure

18x18 is small. Is it the high or width that is too much for parents? 2x2x3 can work, but 2x2 should be the floor space. What is your parents specific issue with the size?

Missus says she would like to have a few words with you out back...
View attachment 315623

+1, (y)

Same size for the "Big Three"* ;) (Which makes it easier for me to remember—mind like a steel trap sieve. :LOL: )
https://chameleonacademy.com/jacksons-chameleon-care/

* Veiled, Panther, Jackson's

.... [hesitation].... Technically, it's probably OK, BUT (big 'but')....

The concern/hesitation is that—regardless of the best intentions—due to the vicissitudes of life, sometimes the upgrade gets delayed, postponed, or forgotten, and never happens, and it's the animal that gets the worst end of things.

Life happens. 💩 happens.

View attachment 315624
trust me I will definetly upgrade as soon as I can my lizards are literally the only thing that I truly enjoy (other then hockey) and I will make sure to upgrade right when I can afford it and still have backup money for the vet

Hi I just recently found chameleon forums and I am really glad I got accepted its cool to be in a community with people just like you.
so this is my question I am planning on getting a female panther chameleon and was wondering if I can put it in a 18x18x36 all the care requirements are perfect and it is all live planted I do realise bigger is always better but currently this size of cage is all my parents are ok with.
I would get a carpet cham but the only ones available in canada rn are WC so is a 18x18x36 fine for a female panther? (also sorry for how messy my writing is)
i TOTALLY get the space restrictions, as I am sharing a room with my sister and have to accommodate house rules etc. i have a female panther that is about 6 weeks. i have just been informed that my cage of 18*18*12 is too small for a chameleon smaller than 6 inches???
this is news, but I knew that my bb would need a bigger cage, and I was working on one.
a question for all of you guys who know more than me
how do I find a tiny tiny chameleon, that is the size of my thumb, in a 3*2*5 cage full of bushy plants? i feel like she should be longer??? any and all help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Life happens. 💩 happens.
This is EXACTLY why i built a huge one and bought a small one, kept her in the small one, and then was going to upgrade. unfortunately, my previous chameleon fell ill and never inherited her mansion of a cage waiting for her. i would recommend either saving money up already, or buying it as soon as you get her, just to make sure you're getting it ready for your new baby. definitely starting with the bigger cage is the more ideal choice, but I understand the commitment it can be.

i TOTALLY get the space restrictions, as I am sharing a room with my sister and have to accommodate house rules etc. i have a female panther that is about 6 weeks. i have just been informed that my cage of 18*18*12 is too small for a chameleon smaller than 6 inches???
this is news, but I knew that my bb would need a bigger cage, and I was working on one.
a question for all of you guys who know more than me
how do I find a tiny tiny chameleon, that is the size of my thumb, in a 3*2*5 cage full of bushy plants? i feel like she should be longer??? any and all help will be appreciated.
a carpet chameleon is always a option although they have a life span of 2-3 years they still have big personalitys and are very cute

18x18 is small. Is it the high or width that is too much for parents? 2x2x3 can work, but 2x2 should be the floor space. What is your parents specific issue with
its not completly the hight thats the problem its the fact that they dont want me spending tons of money on a 'Lizard' when really I am very passionate about them and love them and wish my parents were more supportive

its not completly the hight thats the problem its the fact that they dont want me spending tons of money on a 'Lizard' when really I am very passionate about them and love them and wish my parents were more supportive
OK I understand. As a parent we see our kids get excited a lot of things and then they loose interest. As parents we don't always know what our kids will take serious enough. So it is up to you to continue on the path of showing them your commitment. So things will have to grow with time.
So minimum cost.
Look into butterfly cages. They come in 2x2x3 size which is gives the with they need. You can find more on them at my site www.caskabove.com These run about $30-50 I know others using them and I have used them. They are a great starter solution. Make sure the top is stretched tight so you get good UV penetration. I used 1/4 in wood dowels. I have 5 veiled 2 male and 3 females in this size, each their own of course. The with and depth is better that an extra foot of height.

UVB make sure and get 24in T5HO fixture and 24w 22in bulb. No short cuts do this.

heat get just a clamp on dome light $6 at Walmart. Incandescent ! but any normal bulb, look at plant bulbs the incandescent can be tricky to find, but they are cheap.

For décor, plants and branches just collect out side. If you know people with plants ask if you can have some cuttings to start.

IF you stick to it before too long they will likely be willing to upgrade, especially if they fall for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom