Cage setup

bishop

hi all..

posting some pics of my cage setup and am interested in your experienced feedback.. 2x2x4ft cage.

first-timer here. i'm going to a lizard expo this weekend in search for a ~5-6 month old male veiled/panther this weekend.

i have a mister, heat and uvb lamps... i will be housing its food separately, gut loading with fruits/veggies.

very excited! i've wanted to get a cham for quite some time. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 148
looks cool! i like all the walkways you've built. i personally have a lot more foliage. what kind of plant is that with the green and pink leaves?

looks cool! i like all the walkways you've built. i personally have a lot more foliage. what kind of plant is that with the green and pink leaves?

thanks justin! :)

i'm aiming to have the pothos vines continue to grow, and arrange them around the branches (starting to do that in the pics). there's also places behind and under the pothos that i hope will be good for hiding when needed.

that colorful plant is a coleus. besides loving the pop of color it brings, i live in MA, so having a good-sized pot like that will be very helpful in the colder months for humidity.

i just hope that the cage a) isn't too crowded (i wanted ample walkways and buffers in case he should fall from up high), and b) that the thicker branches aren't too thick.

If you think that’s crowded, you should see mine! I’m still finishing some renovation because I had to start over with new plants but I’ll post pics this weekend after I finish. I have 2 lush pothos, a rattlesnake plant, and a pot of crotons. And now I’m contemplating getting that coleus! :cautious: From my observation, as long as they have freedom to move around it’s cool. Mine loves walking through the thick of the leaves.

I think whatever you get will enjoy the home you’ve created. All those walkways you made look like tons of fun.

I use to worry about the wood thickness when I was shopping for wood pieces. I thought it needs to be something they can wrap their digits around almost completely but I realized they have a huge range of what they can grip. I think some parts of my wood are probably wider than yours, and Chamnewton never had a problem. I got him when he was about 4 months too.

heh.. i think i'm really just wondering if it'll be too thick once he's fully grown. i'm also going to defoliate in some areas so to ensure walkways aren't overly obstructed, and for the vines to grow nice and long.

i didn't buy any wood for this - i just collected from around my house. the biggest pieces were bleached, washed and baked, and others the same minus the bleach. i have an invasive vine species around my property that is so bad that it can take down fully grown trees - i harvested some of those, which comprise the bendy/braided walkways.

sunday is the big day! at some point, if all goes well, i may build a larger DIY cage one day, but this one was fun to "furnish" and i'm looking forward to leaving as-is for quite a while.

will post again once it's inhabitant has moved it! :)

so, he tends to stay up all day by the heat lamp (85-90 degrees). i've seen him eat a few crickets, but haven't seen him move - nor drink. a little anxious/worried about that.

i have the monsoon mister running every 4hr at 30 seconds each spray and also full a plastic cup to drip when i get home from work. because i'm worried, i also spray from a bottle in his area thinking he might try to lick off the cage (even though he doesn't like having the mist hit his tiny self).

ambient temp is 72 in the middle.

glad he's eating, albeit not moving around to hunt, and worried about drinking. i read that it can take a while for them to feel comfy, but as a first-timer, any ideas/thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom