Cage Review

Yes, you have a sweet girl. :) Now that’s confirmed I can give you more info. I already pretty much covered feeding and temps. Once she reaches full maturity either by having laid a clutch of eggs or by age of approx 10 months, you’ll keep her basking temp no higher than 80 and be feeding her 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. This will help reduce the number of eggs she produces and possibly the frequency too.
As young as around 5-6 months old, she can start to develop her colors and patterns. Around the same time, she’ll also be restless…patrolling her enclosure almost constantly. This is her receptive phase. She’s old enough and both ready and wanting to find a handsome boy to make eggs with. It usually lasts a couple of weeks or so. Some girls won’t have as much interest in eating as they do in looking for a mate. If you don’t already have a lay bin in her enclosure, now is the time to put one in.
Often it can be very difficult to determine when they are close to laying eggs or not. The best thing is to always be prepared by keeping a lay bin in her enclosure permanently. You’ll need a p,attic bin that is at least 12” long and wide. Depth isn’t as important as long as it is over 6”. I drill some tiny holes in the bottom of for excess water to drain. I fill to about 6” with washed play sand. You could also use a mix of play sand and organic garden soil if you like. Just no coco coir or other loose matter. You’ll need to keep the substrate moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Some (possibly most?) chams have a certain bathroom area. If you can find it, you can avoid putting the bin there. Put some branches or vines so your cham has a secure way in/out of the bin. When she needs it, she knows it’s there. You can put a plant in it if you like.
One day you’ll walk in and she won’t be in her usual spot. You’ll remember that it’s been at least a few weeks since she was receptive. Very carefully peek in the bin. If she’s in there, try to not let her see you. Cover the bottom half of her enclosure with a light sheet and let her do her thing with NO interruptions. I’ve made small peek holes in my cover sheets, but I mainly listen rather than peek. Your girl will maybe dig a few test holes until she likes one. Then she’ll be face first in the tunnel, digging to the bottom. Eventually she’ll turn around and lay her eggs. When done, she’ll completely cover all holes and make it look like nothing ever happened there. The whole process can take a couple of days and she may even sleep in her tunnel. When she’s all done, she’ll be all dirty, much thinner sitting in her basking spot and wanting/needing some good food and hydration. I like giving hornworms and silkworms at this time. Feed her very well for 2-3 days and then return to her regular diet. Remove the eggs and count them. Hopefully there will be less than 30. Over 40 is starting to head into risky territory. It’s very possible that she may have receptive periods and not lay after. One of my veiled girls lays about 34/36 eggs once a year. The other hasn’t laid in 3 years (which kind of blows my mind!). My panther lady is 1 1/2 years old and hasn’t ever laid. Some follow the regimen to the T and their cham lays every 4 months. We do what we can but nothing is ever 100%.
I do advise getting a kitchen gram scale and keeping track of her weights. I weigh my chams every month. Some weigh more frequently. It gives you a good idea if your girl is starting to gain weight from producing eggs.
I think I’ve babbled on enough. Do ask any questions you may have. :)

These days who knows. Have to be politically correct now. I would say your right on the mark with the gender.

Yes, you have a sweet girl. :) Now that’s confirmed I can give you more info. I already pretty much covered feeding and temps. Once she reaches full maturity either by having laid a clutch of eggs or by age of approx 10 months, you’ll keep her basking temp no higher than 80 and be feeding her 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. This will help reduce the number of eggs she produces and possibly the frequency too.
As young as around 5-6 months old, she can start to develop her colors and patterns. Around the same time, she’ll also be restless…patrolling her enclosure almost constantly. This is her receptive phase. She’s old enough and both ready and wanting to find a handsome boy to make eggs with. It usually lasts a couple of weeks or so. Some girls won’t have as much interest in eating as they do in looking for a mate. If you don’t already have a lay bin in her enclosure, now is the time to put one in.
Often it can be very difficult to determine when they are close to laying eggs or not. The best thing is to always be prepared by keeping a lay bin in her enclosure permanently. You’ll need a p,attic bin that is at least 12” long and wide. Depth isn’t as important as long as it is over 6”. I drill some tiny holes in the bottom of for excess water to drain. I fill to about 6” with washed play sand. You could also use a mix of play sand and organic garden soil if you like. Just no coco coir or other loose matter. You’ll need to keep the substrate moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Some (possibly most?) chams have a certain bathroom area. If you can find it, you can avoid putting the bin there. Put some branches or vines so your cham has a secure way in/out of the bin. When she needs it, she knows it’s there. You can put a plant in it if you like.
One day you’ll walk in and she won’t be in her usual spot. You’ll remember that it’s been at least a few weeks since she was receptive. Very carefully peek in the bin. If she’s in there, try to not let her see you. Cover the bottom half of her enclosure with a light sheet and let her do her thing with NO interruptions. I’ve made small peek holes in my cover sheets, but I mainly listen rather than peek. Your girl will maybe dig a few test holes until she likes one. Then she’ll be face first in the tunnel, digging to the bottom. Eventually she’ll turn around and lay her eggs. When done, she’ll completely cover all holes and make it look like nothing ever happened there. The whole process can take a couple of days and she may even sleep in her tunnel. When she’s all done, she’ll be all dirty, much thinner sitting in her basking spot and wanting/needing some good food and hydration. I like giving hornworms and silkworms at this time. Feed her very well for 2-3 days and then return to her regular diet. Remove the eggs and count them. Hopefully there will be less than 30. Over 40 is starting to head into risky territory. It’s very possible that she may have receptive periods and not lay after. One of my veiled girls lays about 34/36 eggs once a year. The other hasn’t laid in 3 years (which kind of blows my mind!). My panther lady is 1 1/2 years old and hasn’t ever laid. Some follow the regimen to the T and their cham lays every 4 months. We do what we can but nothing is ever 100%.
I do advise getting a kitchen gram scale and keeping track of her weights. I weigh my chams every month. Some weigh more frequently. It gives you a good idea if your girl is starting to gain weight from producing eggs.
I think I’ve babbled on enough. Do ask any questions you may have. :)
Ok, thanks! I have one more question. Once my female lays her eggs, what do I do with them? You mentioned taking them out, but I'm not quite sure what's after that. :/

Back
Top Bottom