cage question

Jewel

My son is going to start the cage and we have a question. He is making a double cage and he plans on putting wood between the two cages and on the back wall. What is the best kind of wood to use between two cages and the wall, is partical board ok? What kind of wood should we use for the frame?

I can't really give you an answer. I did look up particle board to see what it was made of and this is what I found...
http://www.answers.com/topic/particleboard
"Safety concerns arise from the glue which is used to glue the particles together in the production, some people believe that the dust produced is toxic. In most boards, this resin is formaldehyde based. Formaldehyde is classified by the European Union as a likely human carcinogen. 99.99% of this chemical is contained within the board by the curing process. However, when using power tools on the boards, much more is released in wood dust."

I wouldn't use particle board because it's too heavy and a little difficult to work with.
I used pine for my frame and the one wall I have on the back is masonite.

-Brad

makes you wonder what happen to that particle baord when it gets wet from all the misting and showering too wont it mold up? or fall apart?

Cages

I built this double cage out of spruce and plywood. The frame is built out of 2"x2" and the divider is 1/4" plywood cut to fit. I used 1"x2" to "cap" everything. I put the "caps" over top of where I stapled the screen on to cover any cracks. I put 1"x2" around the inside of the doors to ensure that no crickets can get out. I put some plastic vegetable garden wrap around the inside walls to ensure that the chameleons cannot get their toes caught in the screen. This also prevents toe trauma. As for the bottom I used polytarp and stapled it to the inside of the frame at the bottom. I then put "caps" over the edges of the plastic, again to ensure that no crickets can escape. A rock sits in the middle at the bottom to allow all water to flow to the middle. A little hole was poked through under the rock to let the water escape into a bucket below. The mist head is placed in such a way that water does not spray any of the wood. Here is some pis for a better idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom