Cage question

Hi I am a new chameleon owner and about a week ago I got a 4-5 month old panther chameleon and I have a glass 24 tall 18 wide and 36 long with a custom background. I have a T5 HO UVB and a 75w basking bulb, he’s been eating and drinking but I feel like I should get a 24x24x48 screen cage so he can have more height to climb and i could have more plants,vines, and branches but I’m scared when I transfer him he will get too stressed and not want to eat… what do I do

472617CF-7027-4461-BA1B-BFF9921DAF48.jpeg
F34A8969-3332-461C-B109-602D5A9A0172.jpeg
0C8C82C4-034D-46CB-9BF6-173D1721817F.jpeg

Hi and welcome to this wonderful community. You already got a beautiful enclosure, but as you mentioned a 2x2x4 is the minimum, bigger would even be better. And yes, it could stress him, however this will be temporary as it will thrive afterwards. The extra space, especially the heights will give a more safe and natural feeling, which will benefit in all fronts. You now got the time to build him something as beautiful as he already has 👌🏻👌🏻

Hi and welcome to this wonderful community. You already got a beautiful enclosure, but as you mentioned a 2x2x4 is the minimum, bigger would even be better. And yes, it could stress him, however this will be temporary as it will thrive afterwards. The extra space, especially the heights will give a more safe and natural feeling, which will benefit in all fronts. You now got the time to build him something as beautiful as he already has 👌🏻👌🏻
thank you so much for replying this helped, because Neptune the chameleon said upgrade him asap and then I was stressing out cause I didn't have all the money right now to set up a whole new enclosure

thank you so much for replying this helped, because Neptune the chameleon said upgrade him asap and then I was stressing out cause I didn't have all the money right now to set up a whole new enclosure
She’s definitely right, however if it takes a few weeks longer to make the perfect cage at once, this will give less stress then doing everything by bits and pieces. It doesn’t need to the take months, I’m speaking of weeks regarding you got time. Check my blog, it doesn’t need to be that expensive and you can always sell your glass enclosure afterwards. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

Hi I am a new chameleon owner and about a week ago I got a 4-5 month old panther chameleon and I have a glass 24 tall 18 wide and 36 long with a custom background. I have a T5 HO UVB and a 75w basking bulb, he’s been eating and drinking but I feel like I should get a 24x24x48 screen cage so he can have more height to climb and i could have more plants,vines, and branches but I’m scared when I transfer him he will get too stressed and not want to eat… what do I do
Welcome to the forum.

That's a little short (height), but not a killing thing, IMO. An alternate to the 24 x 24 x 48 minimum is 36 x 18 x 36, and some mfrs. are now making & recommending 48 x 24 x 48 (double-wide) enclosures as "Ideal".
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Height is important, but perceived height may be as/more important than actual height, and horizontal space is also important. Chameleons feel most comfortable when they are at or above our eye level, so raising the shorter enclosure so that basking height is at/above eye level should help some.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

Regarding stress, many folks take their chameleons out for some "free-time" on the houseplants outside the enclosure, and they don't die from stress—mine enjoys his little outings, and asks for them often by climbing onto my arm when his enclosure is open.

Any stress will be minimal.

Back
Top Bottom