Cage question

Gracie79

Hi everyone!
My daughter was gifted a chameleon male approximately 6 months in a glass screen top enclosure one from PetSmart that’s very small for it. Now I’d like to get him a new cage as I feel horrible but my funds are limited. I was looking at these zoomed ones a 2x2x4 but they quoted me $130 just for the cage ...opinions, thoughts?. I would love to get him one of those fancy dragon cages Ive read about on here but that’s not possible. I’m in OC California any other reccomendations for cages & places I can buy one from around my area. Any advise would be greatly appreciated so that “Ringo” will be a happy lil dude. ***also I do have cats so any tips on a sturdy cage**
TIA
Grace.

Hello, First of all get ready for a lot of rude comments, like if you can not afford him why keep him etc. A lot of people Will try to help but, won't offer anything except critique.
That being said, Cheapest Cage I've seen is on amazon its a 24x24x48 for $105. for around 50-80 you can build your own if you know how to. That size is the minimum size cage a male should be kept at

Hello, First of all get ready for a lot of rude comments, like if you can not afford him why keep him etc. A lot of people Will try to help but, won't offer anything except critique.
That being said, Cheapest Cage I've seen is on amazon its a 24x24x48 for $105. for around 50-80 you can build your own if you know how to. That size is the minimum size cage a male should be kept at
Lol...I’m not too worried about the possible rude folks there’s always a few in the bunch...I will check out amazon.

There's a difference between people who are trying to do the right thing like this person and the people that swear everything is fine because petstore said it was. We treat people with respect until they don't deserve it anymore.

What is the name of the cage you bought from them? Also are you happy with it?
It's a reptibreeze , not the best cage but gets the job done. I'm happy with it, but I'm working on My own... Ill say its not that sturdy like a 7/10 at most

There's a difference between people who are trying to do the right thing like this person and the people that swear everything is fine because petstore said it was. We treat people with respect until they don't deserve it anymore.
Past 3 days Its been happening a lot bro, People come asking questions and they get attack. Without even answering their question. Just giving her a heads up. For the most part everybody is helpful.

This is not helpful at all to someone coming to get help. There is no place here for a comment like this.
Am I lying? It hasn't happened because I brought it up, But you know it's true. You're going back to my ignored list. You have been part of it too. If You guys don't like the harsh reality, Ignore me, that's what I do.

You can build a Screen cage, fairly sturdy fairly cheaply if you have some power tools :).

If you just want screen. Just build a frame from 1x2s, they are fairly cheap at Lowe's for Douglas Fir, don't use pine.

Put some kind of plywood bottom, or even better acrylic.

Depending on what color you want the frame there is a few sealing options. Then just staple some screen down. If you want to hide the screen that's stapled for a better look, use some corner moulding (this will increase cost a little).

If you want to put a solid back, acrylic will work, or plywood. 1/4 inch plywood could do the back, I think a 2x4 sheet is like 10 dollars. That's a backing.

So like 25 for wood, 15 for screen, 15-20 for paint. Like 50 bucks, and a afternoon or 2.

You will need at minium, a drill and some screws (or nails and a nail gun) and some type of Saw, can be a cheap hand saw, or a chop saw up to you.

Maybe I will throw up a guide in the next couple weeks, been meaning to build a small cage for QT, as my Exoterra broke.

Hi Gracie. If your Cham came with an unsuitable cage, I’m curious about what kind of lights she came with and that you’re using.
It had 1 light a white light that was very hot poor lil dude would keep his eyes shut so I bought another one yesterday at a “reptile store” in my area they suggested a 25/30watt and an additional red light.

It had 1 light a white light that was very hot poor lil dude would keep his eyes shut so I bought another one yesterday at a “reptile store” in my area they suggested a 25/30watt and an additional red light.
No red light! You only need a basking bulb and a T5HO linear UVB hood with a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb depending on how much foliage you have in your new 2x2x4. To properly measure basking spot temp use a laser temp gun. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $14

You can build a Screen cage, fairly sturdy fairly cheaply if you have some power tools :).

If you just want screen. Just build a frame from 1x2s, they are fairly cheap at Lowe's for Douglas Fir, don't use pine.

Put some kind of plywood bottom, or even better acrylic.

Depending on what color you want the frame there is a few sealing options. Then just staple some screen down. If you want to hide the screen that's stapled for a better look, use some corner moulding (this will increase cost a little).

If you want to put a solid back, acrylic will work, or plywood. 1/4 inch plywood could do the back, I think a 2x4 sheet is like 10 dollars. That's a backing.

So like 25 for wood, 15 for screen, 15-20 for paint. Like 50 bucks, and a afternoon or 2.

You will need at minium, a drill and some screws (or nails and a nail gun) and some type of Saw, can be a cheap hand saw, or a chop saw up to you.

Maybe I will throw up a guide in the next couple weeks, been meaning to build a small cage for QT, as my Exoterra broke.
Great tips thank you & yes a guide would be very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom