Cage question

It had 1 light a white light that was very hot poor lil dude would keep his eyes shut so I bought another one yesterday at a “reptile store” in my area they suggested a 25/30watt and an additional red light.
If he was holding his eyes shut then he needs to go to a vet asap. This is a sure fire sign that he has something wrong internally, not just that his lights were too hot.
Unfortunately a lot of pet stores, even specifically reptile stores, are not very well educated in the needs of a chameleon and the lights that they suggested you are not going to be sufficient. I would see if they would accept a return. Camo posted above the exact lighting that you'll need. We can provide links for you if you like as well.

No red light! You only need a basking bulb and a T5HO linear UVB hood with a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb depending on how much foliage you have in your new 2x2x4. To properly measure basking spot temp use a laser temp gun. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $14
Thank you. I will research that appreciate the info.

If he was holding his eyes shut then he needs to go to a vet asap. This is a sure fire sign that he has something wrong internally, not just that his lights were too hot.
Unfortunately a lot of pet stores, even specifically reptile stores, are not very well educated in the needs of a chameleon and the lights that they suggested you are not going to be sufficient. I would see if they would accept a return. Camo posted above the exact lighting that you'll need. We can provide links for you if you like as well.
Thank you links would be great!

That particular link does not come with LEDs. The LED version is like 120.

And on top of that, they now have an "LED HO" that doesnt come with any florescent at all. Yea marketing :p

Why help the customer when you can confuse everyone. Why would they make 3 different styles, all the same length, all with the same lizard on the cover...

Any way the good hood is 50 bucks, and the reptisun T5HO 5.0 is about 15-20 bucks.

Man $120 for the same thing with some LEDS adding on it, its like printing money. And on top of that, they want to sell you replacement LEDS like the replacement bulbs..

Last edited:
And on top of that, they now have an "LED HO" that doesnt come with any florescent at all. Yea marketing :p

Why help the customer when you can confuse everyone. Why would they make 3 different styles, all the same length, all with the same lizard on the cover...

Any way the good hood is 50 bucks, and the reptisun T5HO 5.0 is about 15-20 bucks.

Man $120 for the same thing with some LEDS adding on it, its like printing money. And on top of that, they want to sell you replacement LEDS like the replacement bulbs..

On top of that, those are junk 3w inefficient, low CRI throw them in the trash LEDs. You would Litteraly be better off to buy the 50 dollars fixture and a Beamswork LED the same size :). It's at least somewhat decent LEDs, and isn't that bad for cheap Chinese junk actually.

You would end up with 3x the brightness, better color quality, and still be out 30+ dollars cheaper :p.

But you know, Zoomed slaps "Reptile" on them and adds UVB so that junk is worth more. Crooks in every sense. I do like their flat fixtures though.

If you want LEDs without breaking the bank.

Go with this, with that T5. https://www.amazon.com/Beamworks-Be...2986596&s=gateway&sprefix=beamswork+24&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom