Cage Project: Phase 1

BigR

As some of you may remember, I originally had a post about an enclosure I was building sometime back in November. (damn that was long ago) Finally started to work on this weekend. The setup will be built over the next few months as time and money allow but will be built in three phases.

Phase 1 will be the construction of the main cage. Once this complete the cage will be usable, but will only be a mockery of what it will become.
Phase 1 should be finished during my university reading week, so it will hopefully be done befoire next weekend. (it has to be, otherwise I'll have nowhere to put the new cham I'll be getting on the 22nd)

Phase 2 will be the construction of a base for the cage to sit on. The base will function as storage as well as housing for electronics and Phase 3
Phase 2 will be completed during the first week of summer break. (Mid-April)

Phase 3 will be the addtion of a misting system as well as the complete automation of all lighting and watering. Just got to toss bugs in.
Phase 3 will be completed as soon as I get a another job and funds become available. (still miffed about being let go from the first one)

Since I'm on phase 1 now, I'll fill you guys in on what I've got so far.

Step 1 was to build the cage - Finished that about 20 minutes ago, pics are at bottom of post.

Step 2 is to get it stained and sealed, should be done tomorroww. Once staining's started I need to pick up the corrugated plastic I'm using as a divider and construction will be done.

Step 3 is screening. I've got a few rolls of black aluminum sreen for the sides and some heavy gauge wire mesh for the top. This step might take a while.

Step 4 is waiting for my lllreptile order to arrive. It consists of playing a few rounds Halo, some COD4 and getting my Guitar Hero on with some Friends 'til my ears bleed. Package should be in by then.

Step 5 is the setup and then the move in. Should be done by Saturday, Step 4 permitting.

And now for some pics:

Front of Enclosure
IMG_0703.jpg

Made the Cage (yeah it's capitalized) from untreated 2x2's, 2x4's and a 2x6. Spruce, I believe. Final dimensions are approx. 51"x27"x48" for the entire unit. Individual enclosures will be half that size

Side View
IMG_0704.jpg

Up close
IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Cage doors are deadbolted and a key lock prevents the doors and divider from being opened or removed while I'm not home. I've had bad experiences with cousins and my brother's friends before.

And the lucky girl, a little sleepy
IMG_0707.jpg

I saw her tucked up in the corner and thought, "wow that's a weird spot to sleep". She's currently in my old rat cage, 2x1x2, which is the best I can do for now.

Expect Phase 2 in a few months.

The cage she's in right now is 2' tall.
Finished sanding the thing down today. Stain is going on in the morning. Should be sealed by Wednesday.

Might be some changes to step 4 though. The xbox decided that today would be a good day to bug out. Looks like I'll be on my third before the end of March

Thought I'd post an update. Over the last week I've managed to sand, stain and seal the wood. One coat of provincial colour stain and three coats of semi-gloss polyurathane. Also fit the screens in. Took about 1 hour for each screen section, including cutting, inserting, putting the spline in place and stapling the whole thing to the cage x 9. Didn't help that my cat decided to run through one of the pieces, putting me back another hour to replace the damaged screen. Odour from the stains finally gone too, I've been sleeping on the coach the entire week. I'll post some pics tomorrow evening once my batteries charge. 6 pairs of rechargable AA's and not a single one with any charge.

Very sturdy and professional looking :)

You've done quality work with just the framing. Not a "slap it together" job. Cats and screens are fun....We've got a young kitten that's going through the "climbing on the screen cage after I feed out crickets phase". Anyway, beautiful work. What is going in there? Anything besides the pretty female?

I've got a 5 week old male I picked up at an expo yesterday. He'll eventually be living in the unit next to the female once he gets bigger. (He's weighing in at 2.1g now) My cat's about a year old, we used to find him about 3 feet up the side of our patio door, trip to the vet fixed that.

She's huge now. 98g as of last night. I can still only get close to her while holding a cup of bugs. Nasty temper, loves to hiss and bite, yet my brother can somehow get her out without any fuss.

lol. her mama was the same way. I could not get anywhere near her. Whenever my gf went to get her out.....no problem. She just hated me. I'm glad to see she is doing so well.

A promised here's some updated pics from tonight. I still need to install the back and the divider, should be done by Wednesday. Keep in mind that the cage is upside-down in these pictures, I had to flip it over to seal the bottom.

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

Cat tried to run through the screen again tonight. Had the staples in to hold the screen in place this time. He got quite a shock when he bounced back 2 feet. He won't go near it now.

Damn, almost completely forgot about this thread. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to start an actual base in about a month, but I need to find a new job to pay for it. The cage was built with excess from my student loan.

Currently, it has white corrugated plastic for the backing, the bottom and the divider. 48in UV lamp with a pair of zoomed 5.0 bulbs and a 100W spotlight in each section. Temps are currently 90 at the basking spot, dropping down to 65 at the very bottom.

There is no drainage, but the bottom is sealed and most of the water falls into a plastic tub that can be removed, drained and replaced. any other water is cleaned up with a towel.

No live plants yet, the nursuries haven't opened yet around here. (I still have snow on my lawn). But it's stuffed with every vine and fake plant I have, but it's still a little sparse.

Unfortunately, the baby that I mentioned earlier in the thread passed away. My brother was watching him while I was busy with midterms. Got a call when I was out working that he was dead. Came home, found out that he was dehydrated and had actually lost what weight he had gained. My brother had shut the window in his gecko room and the room temps shot up to 87, slowly killing the baby.

But the female I had before is still going strong, just as spiteful as ever. I still hope to get a male, but will have to put it off until I'm in a better financial position, maybe by the time of the fall expos.

Wow nice project dude. I build the hex ones also in here. Just wondering what ur ideas for a finish coat were?? urs would look wicked in a cherry stain.

Don't have the product brand, but the stain was a single coat of Provincial on spruce. That was sealed by three coats of Varathane Exterior Diamondcoat in gloss.

That looks amazing! Planning something similar myself soon so can't wait to see this one finished so I can steal lots of ideas!

I am sure that your veileds are near and dear to you, but at some time in the future, as time takes its toll, you need to grace your work with some eye-popping panthers. Just IMHHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom